Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elevn21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Probable cause in a traffic stop
    My girlfriend was issued a citation for driving while under suspension. A few months later, she was pulled over again just because the same officer recognized the vehicle. Anyone could have been driving that car, including me. Does that officer have the right to pull the vehicle over? Is that probable cause?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 04:28 AM
    To be honest with you your girlfriend may be not telling you 100% story. An officer has nothing against your girlfriends car and would not pull over a car just because he recognized it.

No one will risk there job because of what you feel is "probable cause"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2008, 06:48 AM
    I will add, unless this is a small town of 5000 people, a officer will not remember a car from 3 months ago.

But if they did remember the car, and reconised the driver as someone that was suspended, that is a reason to stop them.

But reasons to stop.
    As a officer in Georgia I used to laugh about 2 out of every 3 cars has a reason for a stop. Many have some novelty plate cover, like a team sport or a cause that is over the rear plate, well almost all of them slightly or move cover the county name, the state name or the year sticker.
    All reasons. Many cars have some sticker in the back window. The officer can stop the car to check to be sure that the rear vision is not blocked.
    Is there something hanging from the rear view mirror, illegal in most starts, GA for sure, reason to stop them.
    And I could go on for pages of silly little known laws about cars that allowed me to stop them
    johnnycupcakes Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
    More than likely more happened the second time it was pulled over. Police officers do not have time to pull someone over for no reason. Unless it was a possible suspicion of a vehicle used in a crime or the driver fit a certain description of a wanted suspect, there was more to it than that. In Florida, the probable cause has to almost be seen. For example, plain sight or smell, motor vehicle violations or speeding, lane changing etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in Ceiling, probable cause bathroom on upper level [ 21 Answers ]

Heeeeeeelp! I came home this evening and almost fainted when my futon was all soaked up with water. Upon looking at the roof, I realized water was dripping slowly from the dry wall and the drywall had puffed up. I looked around and found that the entire patch/slab of dry wall had slight wetness...

CT traffic law [ 1 Answers ]

In Connecticut, is it illegal to back out of your driveway? I would like to know about the city of Norwich specifically.

Probable paternity, worthy of any soap opera script. [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I was just presented with a possible situation that I just do not believe. Here we go... is it possible for two brothers to be tested for paternity on a single child and get an overwhelmingly positive result for both daddy to be's? A friend who has no knowledge in genealogy, or any specific...

New Traffic Law [ 1 Answers ]

There is a new law in Suffolk County, NY (I'm in Nassau County) that calls for people who are pulled over and found to not have licenses or IDs on them to be arrested on the spot. However, I just saw a news report that a majority of the people that are being arrested are Hispanic. The arrests are...

Traffic light [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to re wire a traffic light and I'm wondering how I get it to switch back and forth between the red green and yellow lights. I don't need them to go in order and I would like about 2 seconds between each light. Any help would be great thanks.:)

View more questions Search