Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Sewer water in the yard, dangerous?
    We recently moved to our current residence. While gardening, I noticed wetness in my neighbor's yard. There is a puddle, about 10 inches wide that fills and then empties to wet mud.

I asked my neighbor if he knew about it. Here's what he said. "Oh, I know about that. The previous homeowners were building a fence there and must have punched through a water or sewer line." Then he went on to point out that our roofline wasn't up to code...

The puddle is right on the property line. There is no fence there, doesn't look as if there ever was a fence at all. I took a good sniff today and the water is definitely from a sewer line. Is it something that should be repaired right away? Is it my responsibility?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Call the town it is their responsibility to fix and the seage can get you sick
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

May 30, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Im not going to speculate as to who is responsible, but is it dangerous, in a word yes.(based on your statement that it is definitely sewer). If it truly is sewer I can guarantee you that your health department will agree. It breeds bacteria and attracts bugs not to mention a less than pleasant aroma. I would have someone repair immediately. Keep us posted. GOOD LUCK, AC
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Raw sewage is very hazordous. Contact your local health department. There is something commonly referred to as "grey water" that is the waste water from everything in the house except the toilets, that smells very bad. It is fairly common for grey water to be released into a ditch or off the backside of a hill in many rural areas where there are older houses. The grey water would be from, the kitchen, & bathroom sinks, the dishwasher, the washer machine and the bathtubs, and showers. This grey water is very strong and often very offensive smelling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Water Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We recently had a pipe burst in our bathroom. The plumber ripped up part of the floor, fixed the pipes . The smell was pure sewer gas, we had to vacate the home. They brought in bigt oz machines, etc that smelled just as bad... smell still remains... we have now been in a hotel for two weeks, when...

Inground Yard sewer vent [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a house built in 1948. I have noticed the smell of sewer gas coming from a vent in the ground. We are connected to the city sewer. We do have a vent on the roof. Is it vital that I keep the yard vent unobstructed or can I plug it to prevent odors coming from it?

Losing water pressure to yard sprinklers [ 3 Answers ]

When I run my outside sprinklers I loose water pressure in about 5 minutes. I recently replaced the water tank. I get good pressure inside the house.

Draining washing machine water into yard [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to put my grey water from my washing machine into a hole with rock in it about 75' from the house. Does this sound like a good idea? Will the soap cause a lot of problems for the ground? Is there a specific kind of soap to use, if you have a septic system?

Water in front yard [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought an old home,and after putting in new copper plumbing I noticed a wet spot on front lawn in the area of my 3/4 inch galvanized feed.I want to know if I can repair this feed,without calling a contractor?Is there a pipe patch available that I could wrap around old pipe?There is a curb-stop...

View more questions Search