Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cma Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Unable to turn the shower handle -now
    The handle that switches the water in the tub from tub fill to shower has gotten increasingly hard to turn. Now even with two hands I can't turn it on. Do I have to replace the whole thing?

Thanks for any advice,
    cma
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 31, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cma
    The handle that switches the water in the tub from tub fill to shower has gotten increasingly hard to turn. Now even with two hands I can't turn it on. Do I have to replace the whole thing?

Thanks for any advice,
    cma
    It would have been helpful to have known the brand of valve but I've put up a faucet similar to yours, (see image).
    Loosen down the top nut and see if that helps. No? Then unscrew the large nut next to the valve body and back the stem and washer assembly out counterclockwise. Clean up the threads and coat them with Plumbers Heat Proof Grease that can be picked at an y plumbing store. Now reassemble, turn better now? Good luck, Tom
    cma Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Humm, sounds like another chore for my brother-in-law on the next visit. I thought it might be something I could do myself, but I'd hate to be without bathing facilities until he and my sister come for a visit next week.

Thanks for the diagram, plumbing is not his forte but he is able to do minor things for me.

cma
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 31, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Did you remove the handle and cover and loosen the bonnet packing nut? That's the top nut on the stem. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

Shower handle [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I'm looking for the brand of my broken "clear" single handle shower handle. Can't find a name on the handle & plumbing supply stores have tried in vain to help me. The stem is perfectly square. All I can find on the back of the assembly is something about "go bo".

Unable to turn off outdoor spigot - water still running [ 6 Answers ]

My outdoor spigot will turn on but when I try to turn it off there is still water running. It's a pretty steady flow. Contractors have been at my house power washing & painting. I know they used this spigot, but I can't figure out what they could have done to it to make this happen. My...

Shower handle replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing my whole shower. There is a shower head and a handle. I've removed the handle and note a round copper stem with a flat bottom, sticking out from the center of the hot/cold connector. It is about 1/4" diameter. Is this a standard set up? Will any replacement valve fit on it or are...

Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

The single handle shower control knob needs to be turned slightly on to prevent dripping at the faucet when turned off. I also can't seem to get the water hot enough for my shower. Am I just catching the water heater at a "down" cycle or is something deteriorating in the handle mechanism?

View more questions Search