Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
    I don't think that I baby her too much. She has her alone time when I am home. In fact, she is sleeping in the living room alone right now. The reason I had such a hard time with it was because they didn't give us a cone, and I had to keep a close eye on her to make sure she didn't lick. She would jump off the high couches and make a little yelp when she did, and it made me sad. I am protective of her and she is my baby, but I try not to baby her too much.

It's hard with THIS face:
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Awwwww... what a cutie! Sure can't resist that girl... those big eyes!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 01:45 PM
    I love her stripe, right between the eyes. Big hugs to her, she's a sweetie. :)
    Vision Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 01:57 PM
    I love her markings, people always think that she is a rat terrier, and it's annoying. :P
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 02:01 PM
    She's worth the time and effort to get her trained to stop barking, she really is, but aren't they all? :)

She's a cutie CM, give her a big hug, she's worth it. :)
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 2, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Altenweg maybe you should re–read my quote before getting all worked up. For someone to say the dog/cat doesn't feel pain is just plain ignorant.
    ajacobs725 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Honestly, if you can't deal with barking, why did you get a dog? Don't de-bark a dog. That's just taking away the first amendment: freedom of bark.
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    Altenweg maybe you should re–read my quote before getting all worked up. For someone to say the dog/cat doesn't feel pain is just plain ignorant.

Your post is very hard to read, it's not very clear how you feel about the pain issue. If I was mistaken then I apologize.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 3, 2008, 12:10 AM
    I agree with Altenweg! It's very hard to tell what side of the fence you are on sometimes with the way they are worded! It's a little hard to get a clear view.:confused:
    Vision Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ajacobs725
    Honestly, if you can't deal with barking, why did you get a dog? Don't de-bark a dog. That's just taking away the first amendment: freedom of bark.
    I'm not going to be rude, but please read threads before posting in them. I don't know how many times this can be said. I never said I can't deal with the barking. My neighbors can't. Nor did I say I was actually considering de-barking my dog. I was simply asking about the procedure..
    Vision Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet, I got it but yeah, it did seem like you had jumped the fence from your stance.

Jun 3, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Fin.

Jun 3, 2008, 10:25 AM
    I'm pro-choice. I don't personally agree with it and wouldn't recommend it.
    Vision Expert

Jun 3, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Again, I never said that it was something that I was considering. I was simply asking for information on the subject.

Jun 3, 2008, 10:57 PM
    CM I commend you for seeking advice and information before making any decisions.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 11:46 PM
    We were going to get our cats declawed UNTIL we found out what that meant. I was still a kid, but my parents thought it would be convenient. My dad took them to the vet - they were already scheduled for the procedure and lying on the tables - and then the vet explained exactly what the operation entails. This caused my dad to do something completely out of character - he whisked the cats right out of there and brought them home. THANK GOD, because they hadn't explained to us in the consultation that they were going to chop of the tips of each of their little fingers. I'm sorry, but how could that NOT be cruel? How could an animal not mind losing its FINGERS?

The fact is that LOTS of doctors are just body businessmen, and it's disgusting. They'll do anything that pays for their membership down at the golf club and their vacations in the bahamas. This includes disgusting and unethical mutilation of animals for things that do everything BUT benefit the animals themselves. NO cat on the planet NEEDS to be declawed. NO cat claws THAT much. It's the same thing for dogs. By the way, consider that de-barking a dog is also - in addition to being unbelievably immoral and selfish - an extremely lazy person's cheap way of getting out a small part of the basic training that all dog owners are responsible for.

If you don't want an animal that barks, then don't get a dog.

so your dog pees on the rug sometimes. are you going to have his bladder removed? he chewed up your shoes. why don't you have them remove his teeth? it's exactly the same thing.

How would you like to have YOUR vocal chords cut to smithereens? How would you feel if someone else decided that FOR YOU?

At the same time, I understand that you are just looking for information, and I understand the hope you had that it might be reversible so that one day you could put her back to normal. Unfortunately, it's impossible to do. I commend you for coming here for information, as that's exactly what I would have done if I were you. Obviously, I've come on a bit strong here, but this is something that I really take to heart and feel strongly about. On that note, I want you to know that my post is for anyone who might have considered doing it, and definitely not an attack on you. I want to prevent it if I can in any way.

Some years ago, my ex's mom went looking for a puppy from a breeder. She arrived at their place, and there were all of these dogs mouthing barks. Not a single sound was coming out of them. They had all had their vocal chords cut. She said it was the saddest thing she had ever seen. I imagine it was also extremely creepy.

Do not, do not, do not do it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 7, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand
    we were going to get our cats declawed UNTIL we found out what that meant. i was still a kid, but my parents thought it would be convenient. my dad took them to the vet - they were already scheduled for the procedure and lying on the tables - and then the vet explained exactly what the operation entails. this caused my dad to do something completely out of character - he whisked the cats right out of there and brought them home. THANK GOD, because they hadn't explained to us in the consultation that they were going to chop of the tips of each of their little fingers.

i'm sorry, but how could that NOT be cruel? how could an animal not mind losing its FINGERS?

the fact is that LOTS of doctors are just body businessmen, and it's disgusting. they'll do anything that pays for their membership down at the golf club and their vacations in the bahamas. this includes disgusting and unethical mutilation of animals for things that do everything BUT benefit the animals themselves. NO cat on the planet NEEDS to be declawed. NO cat claws THAT much.

it's the same thing for dogs. btw, consider that de-barking a dog is also - in addition to being unbelievably immoral and selfish - an extremely lazy person's cheap way of getting out a small part of the basic training that all dog owners are responsible for.

if you don't want an animal that barks, then don't get a dog.

so your dog pees on the rug sometimes. are you going to have his bladder removed? he chewed up your shoes. why don't you have them remove his teeth? it's exactly the same thing.

how would you like to have YOUR vocal chords cut to smithereens? how would you feel if someone else decided that FOR YOU?

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT DO IT.
    Sometimes you really do have to read back a few posts before you comment. She is not going to do it, and that was established many posts ago. I can't stress enough that everyone at least skim through everything that has been written.

I absolutely agree with you! I don't believe in declawing cats either, unless there is a medical reason to do so. That is why everyone has to carefully consider the conditions when they decide to get a pet! (hopefully adopt) You don't get them just because they are cute! They are not so cute when you don't pay enough attn to their breed, and their care, and then some people get mad at the untrained pet when it pees on the rug, or acts out in unusual ways.

Pets cost a lot of money! Everyone who adopts a pet shoud be ready for the expense and the time involved!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2008, 02:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    Sometimes you really do have to read back a few posts before you comment. She is not going to do it, and that was established many posts ago. I can't stress enough that everyone at least skim through everything that has been written.

I absolutely agree with you! I don't believe in declawing cats either, unless there is a medical reason to do so. That is why everyone has to carefully consider the conditions when they decide to get a pet! (hopefully adopt) You don't get them just because they are cute!! They are not so cute when you don't pay enough attn to their breed, and their care, and then some people get mad at the untrained pet when it pees on the rug, or acts out in unusual ways.

Pets cost alot of money!! Everyone who adopts a pet shoud be ready for the expense and the time involved!!
    (actually, you must have gotten to my post before I got the chance to edit the rest of my response, which was literally just seconds after it went up. I didn't intend for it to go out unfinished. I always read the preceding posts, thank you kindly. Just the same, in asking for information, a fair response easily includes a moral stand on this particular issue, which is exactly what I had written in the part you quoted.)

Just out of curiosity, what exactly would you consider to be a medical reason for declawing a cat? End-of-your-fingers-cancer? Or a really expensive new couch and a persian rug...
    Pets Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Linnealand, you obviously don't know Starbuck very well if that's what you think. I realize that you are new to this site, and therefore you deserve to be cut a bit of slack, let me tell you, Starbuck is an animal advocate, as such she would never agree with a procedure that would cause an animal pain, NEVER!

There are medical reasons for declawing a cat, if the nail is deformed or causing the animal pain then sometimes it has to be removed in order for the cat to lead a normal healthy life. Declawing a cat or de-barking a dog because their habits are annoying is the easy way out of a situation that can be controlled with time and patience. We've already established that, many posts ago. It is okay for you to give your opinion, but it is a good idea to read others posts before doing so. Your position has been stated by many others, you can agree with those people to show your support.

CM has decided not to de-bark her dog, she was looking for information and alternative ways to get her dog to stop barking. Also, it's not her that the barking bothers, it's her neighbors, and that's why something has to be done. She has gotten some great advice from people who have owned dogs for a long time, and she's going to try those. CM is also a good person, I know this for a fact.

I just want to let you know about the people that you are judging. Starbuck is a personal friend of mine, I know her very well, and I happen to know that she loves all animals and would go to any length to make sure and animal is treated fairly and kindly.

I'm not trying to be mean, and I agree with your position, but it has been stated repeatedly already on this thread. As you continue on this site you will get to know people better, and get to know their position on things. You will see Starbuck and me on many of the threads concerning dogs, because we both love dogs very much. Now you know a bit about some of our members, and you will get to know more the longer you are here.

Have fun, jump in, but be sure to read all posts before responding, if someone has already stated your opinion then just agree with them. :)
    Vision Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Alty gets big hugs from me for the sweetness!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Barking Dog going to be taken away! [ 6 Answers ]

My friends boyfriend has an Akita that is disrupting the neighborhood with constant barking. She has a doggie door, and loves to be outside. She doesn't bark when there is someone home, but as soon as they leave, the barking is constant! If she is left inside during the day when they are at...

Dog barking to go outside at 3am [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. We have two 5 year old, female weimaraners. Awesome dogs. However, in the last month or so one of them gets up to go outside every night at around 3:00am. She goes outside before we go to bed and pees. When she goes out at 3am she pees and poops. She'll bark outside our bedroom door and then...

Barking Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Paddy and his missus are lying in bed listening to the next door Neighbour's' dog barking. It had been barking for hours and hours. Suddenly Paddy jumps up out of bed and says "I've had enough of this". He goes downstairs. Paddy finally comes back up to bed and his wife says, "The dog...

Barking mad [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 2 year old long hair dachshund he is my best friend and we both have been through a lot together especially this year , but he has a barking problem. When I go to work he barks all day and I only know this because my neighbours have complained about him . When he is with me he is...

Three Dachshunds and a lot of barking! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have always found help at this site (especially from Labman), and I'd like to ask another question that has become a major issue in our household. In two years our family has grown from my husband and I into us plus three dachshunds. We are a happy family of five with a very noisy...

View more questions Search