Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 02:28 AM
    I wish McCain would give President Bush some credit. He is running as if he invented the Surge .Here was part of his ill-timed address last night:

I disagreed strongly with the Bush administration's mismanagement of the war in Iraq . I called for the change in strategy that is now, at last, succeeding where the previous strategy had failed miserably. I was criticized for doing so by Republicans. I was criticized by Democrats. I was criticized by the press. But I don't answer to them. I answer to you. And I would be ashamed to admit I knew what had to be done in Iraq to spare us from a defeat that would endanger us for years, but I kept quiet because it was too politically hard for me to do. No ambition is more important to me than the security of the country I have defended all my adult life.

Nonsense. It was President Bush who risked all by defying conventional wisdom in the form of the Baker Iraq Surrender Report ;and adopted a plan drawn up by General Petraeus... not McCain. I'll give McCain credit for getting on board ,and for calling for more troops . But the plan adopted was not McCain's .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    I'll help you "Steve." A president in the US can only run for two terms; Civics 101.
    Um, duh.

The Republican party, unless they decided not to run a candidate for president in 2008 (did you think they would not?? ), would have to champion another clone. They did. His name turned out to be "John McCain."
    LOL, as I pointed out to NK, McCain voted AGAINST Bush's "rubber-stamp Republicans" 391 times during Bush's tenure. That's an average of about 52 times per year. Some "clone."
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jun 4, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Um, duh."

I over simplified, since you asked. :rolleyes:

LOL, as I pointed out to NK, McCain voted AGAINST Bush's "rubber-stamp Republicans" 391 times during Bush's tenure. That's an average of about 52 times per year. Some "clone."
    Reality check time, "Steve."

McCain Voted With Bush 100 Percent Of The Time In 2008 - Politics on The Huffington Post

John McSame

May 27, 2008 12:55 pm posted by Jason Rosenbaum

CQ's Presidential Support studies try to determine how often a legislator votes in line with the President's position:

CQ tries to determine what the president personally, as distinct from other administration officials, does and does not want in the way of legislative action. This is done by analyzing his messages to Congress, news conference remarks and other public statements and documents.

So, these studies only track votes when the President has an explicit, stated opinion on a bill.

According to CQ, Senator John McCain has voted with President Bush 100% of the time in 2008 and 95% of the time in 2007:

Presidential Support

Year .....................................Support...... ...Oppose
    2008 (through May 15, 2008)......100%..........0%
    2007..........................................95%. ..........5%
    2006..........................................89%. ........11%
    2005..........................................77%. ........23%
    2004..........................................92%. ..........8%
    2003..........................................91%. ..........9%
    2002..........................................90%. .........10%
    2001..........................................91%. ..........9%

CQ's Presidential Support numbers do not include votes that legislators miss - in other words, missing a vote on an issue Bush supported did not lower McCain's score. Now, it is a well known fact that Senator McCain misses the most votes in the Senate. In fact, he was crowned the most absent Senator in 2008. Therefore, when John McCain even bothered to show up and vote in the Senate - which wasn't often - he voted with Bush 100% of the time.

John McCain and George Bush believe the same things on virtually every issue - the list of their agreements goes on for pages. But a better judge of a politician's views is not how he talks, but how he votes. John McCain - when it counted and when he showed up in the Senate to do his job in 2008 - never deviated from George Bush's position. Not once. 100%.

It's all there in black and white. John McSame - just like Bush.
    ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Bobby,

You forgot to bold this part:
    Now, it is a well known fact that Senator McCain misses the most votes in the Senate. In fact, he was crowned the most absent Senator in 2008. Therefore, when John McCain even bothered to show up and vote in the Senate - which wasn't often - he voted with Bush 100% of the time.

Jun 4, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Bobby,

You forgot to bold this part:

Thanks. So true!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Please tell me how often this year Sen Obama has held meetings of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Subcommittee on European Affairs that he chairs .How often as chair of this committee has he visited Europe to confer with the Europeans ( he will talk to the Mahdi Hatter but not our allies ?)?Subcommittee chairmanship represents a significant responsibility;and Obama has been a no-show. The role of NATO in Afghanistan and Iraq ;European energy policy and European responses to climate change,our role in NATO are all part of his perview .But he has been too busy campaigning .
    So either both candidates take a hit for attendance or both get a pass. Your choice.

Jun 4, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Tom, I hear you. Neither get a pass. But one of the candidates vote most often the same as Dubya, and it's not Barack Obama.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 10:28 AM
    I've already refuted NK's rehashed argument. Out of 141 votes this year he's missed 105, and so that's an accurate gauge of his votes along Bush's line? LOL! You guys want it both ways, you wanted to applaud him for being a maverick for working across party lines and bucking his party - averaging 52 votes per year against the GOP - so much so that he reportedly contemplated switching parties at least twice, and now you want to paint him as a Bush clone. All the while mocking us for not being thrilled with McCain for those very reasons. Unbelievable.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 10:43 AM
    You guys want it both ways, you wanted to applaud him for being a maverick for working across party lines and bucking his party -
    I never said he was a maveirck, I never said he attempts to work across party lines - he's a puppet of the neocons.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Tom, I hear you. Neither get a pass. But one of the candidates vote most often the same as Dubya, and it's not Barack Obama.
    For I believe the 5th time I've said this now, that's not true. I've furnished the links, look it up and don't rely on spin like NK.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 11:02 AM
    I'm not spinning - I've provided my facts fella. When Johnny-boy voted against his fellow repubs it's most likely 'cause his little buddy George did too. But when George voted "Yay" so did Johnny "THE MAVERICK" McCain.

Hehe, the irony of you telling me that I "spin" stuff. Harhar - that's your job here!
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 12:49 PM
    I'm not spinning - I've provided my facts fella. When Johnny-boy voted against his fellow repubs it's most likely 'cause his little buddy George did too. But when George voted "Yay" so did Johnny "THE MAVERICK" McCain.
    "Most likely" is not a fact, NK. An accurate way to put it is McCain voted with the president a majority of the time - as did most Republicans. If it's supposed to be earth-shattering news that Republicans voted with their Republican president a majority of the time then you need to get out more. But to choose this year and last - when McCain (along with Clinton and Obama) missed so many votes while campaigning as "factual evidence" that he is a Bush Clone is spin. The first comment on the post you cited is right, it's "a stupid, misleading statistic."

Hehe, the irony of you telling me that I "spin" stuff. Harhar - that's your job here!
    I'll put my facts up against your spin any day.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 01:00 PM
    I never said he was a maveirck, I never said he attempts to work across party lines - he's a puppet of the neocons.
    "You guys" is referring to the left and the media in general. As recently as January the NY Times was calling him just that.

Is John McCain, the maverick flyboy of the Republican Party, becoming the candidate of the Republican establishment?

Mr. McCain, who has delighted in sticking his thumb in the eye of mainstream Republicans throughout his political career, is now accumulating a base of support among party regulars who see him as the strongest general election candidate in the remaining Republican field.
    But hey, the left and the media can always tear down what they built up right?

Jun 4, 2008, 01:13 PM
    For I believe the 5th time I've said this now, that's not true. I've furnished the links, look it up and don't rely on spin like NK.
    Year after year, McCain has voted same as Dubya, a high percentage part of the time. That's a fact. NK is from Canada and although I agree with HIS understanding of this election, please don't trying using her as an excuse. People in Canada are just as smart, have computers, speak English (and French), and can make up their own minds, as well as Americans. I see nothing HE opinionated that so outrageous that Americans haven't expressed one time or another.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 01:21 PM
    "You guys" is referring to the left and the media in general. As recently as January the NY Times was calling him just that.
    Please, I'm an individual, not "the left" or the media. Try to treat people as individuals. I'm not a "you guys" since I'm quite moderate.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 01:23 PM
    NK is from Canada and although I agree with her understanding ...
    Um... he.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jun 4, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Just a redneck bit of opinion about McCain being a Bush clone. You ain't going to get many people who supported Bush to believe that for a New York minute!!

Jun 4, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Um...he.
    HE. Yes "HE" indeed. My bad. I corrected it. Thank you, sir.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Please, I'm an individual, not "the left" or the media. Try to treat people as individuals. I'm not a "you guys" since I'm quite moderate.
    And at the time I was responding to Bobby, not you. See that little "originally posted by BABRAM" thing up there? Besides, I'm a Texan, "you guys" is everyday parlance.

Jun 4, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    Just a redneck bit of opinion about McCain being a Bush clone. You ain't gonna get many people who supported Bush to believe that for a New York minute!!!
    I don't think either, George W. Bush or John McCain are conservative enough for their constituents, but fact is McCain has voted same as Dubya, a high percentage part of the time.

According to CQ, Senator John McCain has voted with President Bush 100% of the time in 2008 and 95% of the time in 2007:

Presidential Support

Year... Support... Oppose
    2008 (through May 15, 2008)... 100%... 0%
    2007... 95%.. . 5%
    2006... 89%.. . 11%
    2005... 77%.. . 23%
    2004... 92%.. . 8%
    2003... 91%.. . 9%
    2002... 90%.. . 10%
    2001... 91%.. . 9%

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About messiah. [ 2 Answers ]

This is thanigai... what do the word "MESSIAH" mean? I want a clear and brief answer... ... what is the difference between the two testaments of bible...

Tin foil hat crowd gets a Messiah [ 1 Answers ]

Ex-MI5 agent Shayler claims to be chav messiah By Lewis Page Published Friday 10th August 2007 12:11 GMT Well-known former MI5 officer and 9/11 conspiracy theorist David Shayler has taken a further step along the path to fruitcakeville, suggesting to a TV news interviewer that he is the Messiah....

View more questions Search