Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Breach of contract
    I signed a contract to buy and put up 1000.00 earnest money . I know my cash is gone , but the contractor built a garage because it was stated that we asked for it in the contract which we did , but it has taken a lot longer than expected and the times seem to be getting tougher ,so can we breach this contract and if so what can happen.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
    What can happen is he can make you pay for all his time, material, profit, expenses and legal expenses if it comes to that--if the circumstances are as they sound in your write-up.
    If you had a completion date and he far exceeded it and can't give an acceptable explanation for delay (usually they can-its very lenient in contract law) you might have some room to negotiate. A written change to the contract should have been prepared if you didn't want the garage and that could have had impact on the remainder of the contract also. I am not a lawyer but I have experience with construction contract claims and that's where you are headed unless there is more I don't know, such as all the contract language. You need to have plenty of documentation to substantiate your side of the issue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2008, 12:50 PM
    And I will ask, is the house not able to move in, even if the garage is not finished, Could perhaps a closing be arranged with a set amount of money put into escrow to pay for the garage after it is fininshed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breach of Contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, This is the first time I am posting so please be easy on me. This might be a bit long but I want to paint the full pictures hoping I can get some good advice. I am in a real predicament here as I backed out of a home purchase after I waived all contengencies. Long story...

Breach of contract. [ 2 Answers ]

Critically asses the remedies for breach of contract in the context of sale of goods act of 1892 (cap 82), while quoting the law and citing the cases..

Breach of Contract [ 4 Answers ]

Buyer A buys a house and a large lot in an upscale neighborhood. The previous owner left the property a mess and Buyer A's new neighbors were delighted by the prospect of Buyer A cleaning up the place. Both neighbors had their homes up for sale and knew that if Buyer A spruced up the house and...

Breach Of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

In My Father's Legal Separation Papers, It Is Stated That Upon His Death, All Of His Land And Home Goes To His Legally Separated Wife With The Exception Of One Acre That Is To Be Given To His Daughter. He Died In July, 2006 And In September, She Deeded All Of The Land To Her Son. The Legal...

View more questions Search