Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leannerose88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Declination of the sun at summer solstice
    Hi,
    I understand that declination is the degrees around the earth, like latitude, however I have been told that the declination of the sun at summer solstice is 23°27' .
    This makes no sense to me, why does is have two different numbers, and what is the dash after the 27 all about? I can't find an explanation.
    Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 30, 2008, 04:58 AM
    The first is the degrees and the second is minutes.
    Each degree is broken down into 60 arcminutes.

Minute of arc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Declination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Latitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 30, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Remember that an object's declination is the number of degrees north or south that it is from the celestial equator. You can visualize where the equator is by first locating the north star (I am assuming that you are in the northern hemisphere) and then imagining a circle in the sky that would be 90 degrees to the south from there - that's the celestial equator. If you live in a moderate northern latitude the celestial equator is an arc that starts at the eastern horizon, rises up towards the south reaching a maximum altitude above the horizon as you look due south, and chen continuing on down to the western horizon. The maximum elevation of the equator above the southern horizon in degrees is equal to 90 degrees minus your latitude. Because of the tilt of the earth, the sun follows a path during the year that is tilted to the celestial equator by a bit more than 23 degrees (23 degrees 27 minutes). So the furthest that the sun gets north or south from the equator is 23 degrees 27 minutes. The summer solstice is the time when the sun is furthest to the north of the equator (again, assuming you live in the northern hemisphere), on or about June 22, so that is when its declination is north 23 degrees 27 minutes. At the winter solstice the sun is at its furthest southern declination: south 23 degrees 27 minutes. At both vernal and autumnal equinoxes (March 22 and Sept 22, respectively), the sun is at 0 degrees declination, which means that's the point in time when the sun is on the celestial equator. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do over the summer for FUN! [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do to have fun over the summer? I just want ideas. I know I''m going to be bored and I want to know if anyone has ideas for stuff to fill my time! Thanks!

Since It Is Summer [ 1 Answers ]

What's Your favorite summer songs? The Rock Show-Blink 182 In Too Deep-Sum 41 Stacy's Mom- Fountain of Wayne Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen (Don't Ask) School's Out-Alice Cooper

Right ascension declination explanation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone explain in really simple terms (like I was a kid) what right ascension declination is :confused:

Summer Switch on Furnace- on or off in summer? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model Carrier furnace for central heat in the basement; the AC unit is newer and outside. I noticed that the Carrier unit has a "Summer Switch". Should it be set to off during the summer months?

Sunrise/Sunset asymmetry at solstice [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to understand why the earliest sunset occurs one or two weeks before the winter solstice, and the latest sunrise occurs one or two weeks later? I imagine that the slight change in orbital position from day to day must have some impact, but I still can't visualize it. Thanks...

View more questions Search