Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawndodda1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Must Collection Agencies accept what I can pay?
    I Live In Florida and My Credit Card Debt has been turned over to a collection agency. I owe $24OO.OO and they wanted the money up front as payment. I told them I don't have that kind of money but would do a payment of 200.00 dollars and they accepted it.Now I received a call saying that was part of my settlement and want $2000.My question is must they accept what I am willing 2 pay as long as I am making payments or what can happen? I am willing to pay but I don't have the whole amount! Thanks
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Just curious: have you been sued? Check this: Debtors' Rights in Florida
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 01:43 PM
    They do not have to accept what you decide to pay, but I'd bet that if they get a $200 check from you each month, they probably won't take you to court over that small a balance.

Are you able to make this payment at a local office, where you can receive a receipt with a balance on it each time you pay?

That would be your best option if it is available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection agencies [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency or credit card company send someone to your home or work to try and scare you into paying your debt?

Collection agencies [ 6 Answers ]

I have noticed a run of collection agency posts lately. I don't know what it is about this time of year, it seems to happen around tax time. Anyway, how many times can a debtor be hit by collection agencies, I mean how many times can it be sold, passed on, whatever the terminology is. I always...

Collection agencies [ 3 Answers ]

I have an outstanding debt (1000.00 but is now 3000.00 because of the 19% finance charge that has accumulated) from 1997 from a Credit Card company. I was contacted by a collection ageny by mail approximately 3 months after purchasing my home. I understand under the statute of limitations for...

Collection agencies? [ 6 Answers ]

I recently moved out of an apartment, did the walk through with a leasing agent, she told me everything was ok'd, now I get a call from a collection agency for $522.00 so they can replace the carpet. I heard nothing about it until the man from collections called me. I was never given a copy of...

Collection agencies [ 1 Answers ]

I Am In Collection Agencies For My Charged Off Accounts If I Start Paying Them Off Will It Show The 3 Major Credit Bureusm My Payments Made To Them For Example I Owe Sears But It Is On Collection How Does It Work? Thank A lot

View more questions Search