Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seanbax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Commas?
    I always have the most trouble with commas. I'm going to place commas where I believe they should be placed in the preceding sentence, and if someone could let me know how far I am off and supply a brief explanation why, It would be much appricated. Thanks!

The appraisal was schedualed for today, but Sarah felt sick, so we reschedualed the appointment for Tuesday. Also, we continued forward, and adjusted the loan amount to $ 182,700.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Hehe, you mean "following", not "preceeding" (couldn't resist since you're talking about english use :p ).

Anyway, comma usage is not as cut and dried as it used to be. I don't know what Strunk's Elements of Style would say, but I think:

The appraisal was schedualed for today but Sarah felt sick, so we reschedualed the appointment for Tuesday. Also, we continued forward and adjusted the loan amount to $ 182,700.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 10:04 PM
    I agree with the preceding post.

"we continued forward and adjusted the post" needs no comma. You might pause there when speaking, but in writing it is a continuation of action that does not need a break.

but then again, I don't use capital letters so what do I know? =)
    seanbax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Just wanted to thank you for responding. One of these days, it will all sink in.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Here's a rule of thumb that works most of the time:

Where you have two commas, you should be able to remove all text within them and the sentence still make sense.
    sidneyjanesharp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 09:35 PM
    The appraisal was scheduled for today, but Sarah felt sick so we rescheduled the appointment for Tuesday. Also, we continued forward and adjusted the loan amount to $182,700.

None of the previous feedback you got was 100% correct. I have a Ph.D. in Literacy; you can trust me. However, the first comments are correct, i.e. comma usage is not as cut and dried as in the past. Here are some rules: Commas are necessary to separate two independent clauses in a compound sentence especially if they are longer. Ex: We continued forward, and we adjusted the rate. They are not used to separate a compound verb. Ex: We continued forward and adjusted the rate. Dependent clauses are not complete sentences and cannot stand alone. A subordinate conjunction such as "so" introduces a dependent clause. Do not use a comma to separate an independent clause from a dependent clause (not needed and wrong). Get a good grammar book and use it as a resource. Watch your spelling and usage: preceding not preceding (and as noted it was misused). Schedule not schedule. Sorry if I sound tough - just the facts, Jack. Right or wrong, people will judge you if you are careless about grammar and usage. Most people will cut you some slack if English is your second language, and they should! I wouldn't want to be judged for my spelling and usage in French. I would change "continued forward" to "proceeded as planned" or similar. No space between dollar sign and amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search