Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcpellettiere11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 03:38 PM
    120 Volt vs. 240 Volt
    I know that this may be a very basic question, but I am trying to understand the difference between a 120V and a 240V. I work for an architectural firm and am trying to specify a printer for a client. The printer says that it can has a power requirement of 100-120V OR 220-240V. Can you please explain the difference?
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 29, 2008, 03:49 PM
    240 Volt uses half the amperage that 120 Volt uses, therefore it's more efficient than 120 Volt. You get more bang for your buck with 240Volt compared to 120

Just my 2 cents. As in motors for example I like to wire 240 over a 110 when I have the option.

OH do you have a website for this 240v printer. Im a puter guru and I have never seen a 240v printer. Id like to see it lol
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 29, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr500
    240 Volt uses half the amperage that 120 Volt uses, therefore it's more efficient than 120 Volt. You get more bang for your buck with 240Volt compared to 120
    This is not entirely true. While 240v is slightly more efficient than 120v, there is NO energy savings. The wattage consumed is the SAME. Wattage is what you pay for in your utility bill, NOT amperage.

The main advantage to 240v is that for a given load the amperage is half that of the SAME load if running off 120v (given the option). Wattage drawn is still the same.
    This lets us run smaller wire and equipment, so installation costs are much less and are easier due to the smaller equipment.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 04:50 PM
    It means its versitle, You can use in more places than the Everyday 240 Volt printer.
    Doesn't happen to have a 50/60 Hz Switch?
    If your office has 120 volts only, Don't upgrade to 240 Volts.
    If the printer was a long way from your house, the 240 Volts would be preferrable.(Can work further away).
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 29, 2008, 04:55 PM
    First of all you really do not have options. The only available voltages are 120/240.

What this means is that the printer needs to have two levels of electrical power. The 120 component will be used to operate low voltage controls and digital voltages along with any DC voltages needed.

The 240 VAC will drive the heavy motors and things like developers, fusers and corona wires if that technology is still in use.

Your real problem is not fitting the voltage to the printer, its fitting the customer's needs as to the printer's ability to meet those need and be priced within reason.

I am biased towards Lexmark printers, but I worked for Lexmark for 15 years.

I am going to ask that this be moved to the printer forum for any additional responses. Also, you need to consider putting a detailed description of what the customer needs are so you can get the proper assistance.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
    OK, my turn.

Sometimes there are "universal power supplies" which will operate from about 85 to 285 volts. Sometimes there is an internal switch to set the voltage and you have to change the fuse to match the voltage and sometimes the system will switch automatically depending on the voltage, but it has two ranges. Universal supplies go down to 85 volts because some areas of Japan have 100 V mains. They go to 285 because of the 277 voltage typically used for lighting.

OK, that said.

Power will be the same. The printer will be a low power device and there would be no need to bring in 240 if it doesn't exist.

Let's use an example: a 24,000 W heater would draw 100 amps at 120 V and 100 amps at 240 V and 50 A at 480V. This would be a good reason to use 480. The wire size and cost of the wire and assorted components would be less because the current would be less.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
    JC,

I'ld like to hear back from you regarding this posting and its current status, please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search