Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcheffo Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Receptical and switches
    When purchasing recepticals and switches what price range should I be looking at. I have seen 10 packs at home depot for about $5. Im sure they are not the best choice only being about .50 a piece. I am using them for residential.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 09:26 AM
    They are all UL approved. I seldom remember one going bad, and even if it did, it isn't much of a job to replace one. For ordinary use, they should be OK.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 12:06 PM
    At Menards they have them for $0.35 a piece. You can get more expensive ones with features, higher ratings, different designs.. . But these basic cheap ones are standard and I've never had a problem either.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Just do not use the push in the back terminals, on these or any receptacle. Wrap the wire around the screw terminal and you will have no problems.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 01:32 PM
    If the cheap thing does croak, it is easier to get the screws lose than the push ins, or I don't know the trick to it.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 14, 2006, 06:36 AM
    For switches, the cheap ones are fine. Although if there is a switch that gets used a lot. Spend a little more as the more expensive ones tend to be better constructed.

For receptacles, the cheap ones are fine for outlets that you don't use a lot. But for ones in the kitchen, kids bedrooms, home office, etc. I like to use the more expensive "spec" grade receptacles. They are designed to hold the plug better after repeated usage.

And as TKRussel said. Don't use the plug in (back stab) connections. Although, you can use the back wired ones that are held tight when you tighten the side screw. Menards sells a brand that has them. I think the brand is Pass and Seymour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 AMP Circuit with 15 AMP Receptical, is this OK, and in code? [ 5 Answers ]

This is sort of similar to the other thread, but my problem is the house I bought is wired with 12, all the breakers are 20AMP except for the 30AMP for the AC and Dryer. When me and my dad were changing the power recepticals, which were 15 amp, someone told us that we should have 20 recepticals, or...

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

3 way switches [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any...

Roof receptical [ 3 Answers ]

I need to install a receptical under the eve of my roof for roof cable to plug into for melting ice on my roof. I would also like a pilot lite switch installed to let me know when the power is on for the roof cables. Do I need conduit from the inside of the house to the outside box. Any help in...

Switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lite at the top of the stairs with one switch for it at the top. I want to and a secong switch at the bottom of the stairs. I believe the incoming power it at the switch (top of stairs) How do I add a second swich to control lite?

View more questions Search