Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 06:54 AM
    "Dd Help" Help
    (Windows 98/IE 6.0)

When I try to shut down Windows I get a screen called "Dd Help" thet says an error has occurred in my program, and when I exit that screen I get another "Dd Help" screen saying my program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Only after Ok'ing that does the computer shut down. Anyone know how to prevent this? Thanks in advance.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Hi, Rob,
    I also use Win98/98SE with IE 6.
    This is a new one on me, but research on the web indicates it might be some type of Spyware. It is also used for creating templates.
    If you wish to try the following, here are steps and programs I use to get rid of spyware/advertising programs:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

SpyBot Search & Destroy V 1.4
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
    All of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times. Then, run SpyBot, and then CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download! Updates of AntiSpyware Definitions are available on almost a weekly basis.

SpyWare Blaster 3.5
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbupdate.html

Free online scan at:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

If the above doesn't get rid of it, please post back. Also, if you would like steps for Maintenance of 98/98SE, I also have those. Best of luck.
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Thanks Fredg for the downloads, I got rid of lots of scary stuff. I still have the Dd Help issue though. It happens only when I shut down while in IE. If I first close all browser windows manually and then shut down I don't seem to get the screens. Any further thoughts? Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search