Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    x_harmoni_x Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 10:15 AM
    5 year old medical debt
    It has been almost 5.5 years since the debt incurred and they have threatened to sue me, but haven't yet. Is it likely that they will sue me or is this a scare tactic? I tried contacting a lawyer, but they never called me back and I don't know if I can find a lawyer with free consultation.

The debt it self shouldn't exist because my insurance company should have covered it but decided not to. Long story short, I was under my mothers health insurance plan when I got pregnant with my son. They covered all my maternity care and the labor and delivery, but decided not to cover my son's nursery bill. It has been 5 years so I don't think at this point I can do anything about the insurance company. I am unsure about insurance laws in NY and am also not sure if there is some law that state that if they covered the delivery that they had to cover the nursery bill since you can't get insurance for an unborn baby.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 10:40 AM
    The higher the bill, the more likely they are to sue.

Yes, many agencies will use the law suit threat, without intending to do so.

That, is an illegal activity, under the FDCPA, it is illegal to make any threat that you do not
    Intend to follow through with.

The next time they call, tell them that you are going to record the conversation with their permission, or there will be no conversation at all. If they agree, and the threat of suit is mentioned again, simply tell them that you have no intention of paying, if that is where you stand on this debt, and that when you receive notice of the suit, you will contact your attorney, and let them take care of it.

You can also send them a letter, stating that they are no longer allowed to contact you by phone, at home or at work, and that any further communications must be in writing.

There are many attorneys that will give you a free initial consultation, just grab the phone book and start calling.

In addition, once you tell them that you are not going to pay, legally, they can no longer continue to collect the debt without taking you to court.

Lastly, these recommendations could easily result in you receiving notice of the suit so if you aren't prepared for that, you need to try to figure out how to pay them.
    x_harmoni_x Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 11:37 AM
    So then I am guessing that the statue of limitation in NY for medical bills is more than 5 years? They just sent me a piece of mail, this time with nothing about a law suit or passing a judgement against me.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 01:45 PM
    New York is 6 years on medical debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old medical debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have been asked, by a debt collecting agency, to address old medical bills. The bills date back from 11/02 through 11/03. If I had received any information during this time, I was not in any state of mind, because I don't recall any bills (it is possible due to mental illness) 2 months...

Medical debt payment [ 3 Answers ]

If I make payments every month on a medical bill can my wages still be garnished or my credit be affected and is there a minimum payment amount to show good faith in Colorado?

Huge medical debt [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I Recently Had Surgery (gallblatter Removed) My Insurance Did Not Cover My Hospital Bill Nor Will It Cover The Doctors Bills. My Credit Is Bad . I Am Divorced , Child Support Is $1000.00 Monthly I Only Earn $2300.00. The Bill Is Apprx. $67000.00. All I Can Pay A Month Is...

They took my car over an unpaid medical debt [ 5 Answers ]

My son broke his arm shortly after I lost my job and I didn't have insurance. I ended up owing an orthapedic doctor $800.00. They ended up having attorneys call me and harrass me for money. I was currently getting unemployment and didn't have the extra money to pay the bill at that time. They ended...

View more questions Search