Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quirrell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 12:10 AM
    Using dos to turn off auto restart on error with windows 2000 pro
    Can someone please tell me how to change the auto restart on error from dos with windows 2000 pro.

When I log on with the imported username from the old os, (there was no password) the machine "applys user setttings" then immidiatly logs off! And asks me for the username and password and goes round in circles doing this?? ***

I upgraded from win98 (SE I think, not my machine) and need to change the registry entry so I can access the os

All I need to do is turn the option OFF in the registry from dos

Any help much appreciated

Quirrel
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Hi,
    I am not sure this will work, but it's worth a try if you don't get any specific answers.
    You can remove the CMOS battery, located on the motherboard, for about 5 mintues, then put it back in. It may reset the computer, then asking you for a new password, if you wish to have one.
    If you remove the case of the computer, please be SURE to ground yourself by touching the outside of the case first. This will release any electrostatic energy from your body, and not "fry" internal computer parts.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Can you log in to the computer using another account that has administrator rights?

I wouldn't recommend Fredg's recommendation as the problem is with Windows not with any bios settings.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2006, 07:34 AM
    I need more info about this machine. Did it used to be on a network? Is it on one now? Are you sure you have the correct user name and password. Have you tried using Safe Mode?

And I agree with Need. Ignore Fred's answer, your problem has nothing to do with the CMOS. That answer never should have been posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic (2000) ECU CVT error [ 3 Answers ]

Service diagnostic of my Honda Civic (manufacturing year - 2000) ECU showed the error 30-1. It seems to be the CVT error. Does there anybody know, what this error means? Could it be because of old dirty oil in CVT? The car was driven over 80.000 km, and oil has never changed.

Windows Xp restart/more problems then what have been previously questioned. [ 4 Answers ]

I know this question has been asked already...but my situations alittle more complex....please read along!!! :confused: Okay I have an Hp, running on Windows XP..The computer is basically new, never used for anything other than wordpad. Just recently connected it to a cable modem. Was running...

Turn on Recycle Bin in Windows XP [ 3 Answers ]

Some time ago I used a tweaking program to delete files directly rather than going into the Recycle Bin. I don't remember the name of the program and don't have it anymore. I would now like to reverse this situation so that deleted files go into the Recycle Bin. I would be grateful for advice on...

Access 2000 error [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all. We are using an access database 2000 with 30 users. The dbase size is 50 Gig. For some reason we keep getting an error messsage that the dbase is not in recognized format and has to be repaired. This error can show up to 10 times a day. Please help. Thanks

View more questions Search