Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wjstenger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 03:34 AM
    Abs vs pvc cement
    I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is OK to use 'abs' cement on pvc pipe? I accidentally picked up a can of abs cement at Sears, which was right above the pvc fittings we were buying.
    Will
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wjstenger
    I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is ok to use 'abs' cement on pvc pipe? I accidentally picked up a can of abs cement at Sears, which was right above the pvc fittings we were buying.
    Will
    Take it back and exchange it for PVC Cement and Primer. Regards, Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 04:03 AM
    Nope. ABS, PVC, CPVC require different glues, primers and cleaners. There are some universal glues out there. Plumbing codes sometimes dictate what system you have to use and whether the universal glue is permitted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cpvc cement [ 6 Answers ]

I recently plumbed my first house using cpvc supply and when I started on the drain lines I realized that I had used pvc cement instead of cpvc cement on all the supply lines. Will the cement I used hold up or am I going to have to take it all out and redo it.

Pvc cement [ 4 Answers ]

How do I remove a 3 inch section of pvc from a 3 inch to 1 inch reducer that I solvent welded together

What I under cement [ 4 Answers ]

I nede to know what is under cement, I found some fuzzy white hair underneath all the cement at my local city park where the cement was cracked. Please tell me what that was thank you:D

Oil Spill on cement [ 4 Answers ]

How do I clean up an oil spill on the driving pad at my condo.

Now What--PVC cement on ABS [ 1 Answers ]

Used PVC cement on black (ABS?) pipe on a trailer while gluing in a Drain Master flange. Cement is P-8 Nutone PVC Cement (ASTM D-2564). Joint looked good put didn't stress it. Will it hold? If not, what now? (just another example of gaining 'experience' by doing stupid things--great fun...

View more questions Search