Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    altheide5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Trying to use a computer monitor as a TV
    I have a Samsung lcd monitor I would like to use as a TV there are rca and s video hook ups as well as a serial port. I am trying to find some sort of adapter to allow a connection from a regular coax cable. I tried an RF converter with no luck. Any sugestion?
    Thanks
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 29, 2008, 12:56 AM
    Is the coax cable coming from the wall? If YES, then this isn't going to work. If NO, the coax is coming from a cable tuner box, then it SHOULD work already.

Remember that all TVs sold noawadays are "cable ready" meaning the cable tuner is already built into the TV. An LCD monitor will not have this circuitry, so the cable from the wall will need to go through a cable box to turn the signal into something usable.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 02:58 AM
    I think you have a VGA port and not a serial port, but count the number of pins. Probably 15?

A CECB (Coupon Eligible Converter Box) will work for only High definition signals only. You need a Tuner to make it work with NTSC signals that a VCR puts out.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 29, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Since your monitor already has an SVideo input, the simplest way to do this is to plug a device into the monitor that has an S-Video OUT and also has a COAX in, meaning it probably has a cable tuner in it as well.

Most useful device would be a VCR/DVD combo recorder/player. Or a DVR. These devices not only decode cable signals they can record them. Then plu the video out from the combo unit into your LCD monitor.

You'll need speakers, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Monitor and old computer [ 2 Answers ]

My computer does not start the desktop when installing new monitor. It does not even recognize it as a new hardware. Thanks for your help, Drbill

Computer Monitor [ 4 Answers ]

My computer monitor, just over the last week, has developed faint grey lines that follow every line of text, image, or border. I don't know what has caused this, or what is causing this, and we bought a new monitor because of these lines, yet nothing has changed. Could you please tell me what is...

Computer monitor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my monitor is upside down. Please help!! Thanks When my computer starts up its fine but then when it gets to my page its upside down.

Computer monitor [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my monitor is upside down. Please help!! Thanks

Monitor says No signal - New computer [ 6 Answers ]

hey I'm new to these forums but I'm having a rather troubling problem. About 2 days ago I bought a new computer from my local computer shop, its made up of : Asus M2N Sli Deluxe motherboard Legend DDR2 667mhz 512mb ram x2 Nvidia 7950GT AMD Dual Core 4200+ AM2 Western Digital Sata 80gb Hard...

View more questions Search