Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dololie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2004, 08:44 PM
    Hotwater heater
    Water comes out of my over flow copper tube. What do I need to do to fix it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2004, 04:08 AM
    Re: Hotwater heater
    There are several reasons a temperature and pressure valve would discharge. The first being that your water's so hot it turned to steam and the pressure opened it up or the temperature of the water rose to the point that the valve begain to release water. However, most T&P valve failures are due to a spring inside the valve that has weakened. If your water isn't overly hot try this. Spray some WD40 on the shaft just under the lever and then work the lever up and down to let it work in. If that don't allow it to seat and quit leaking then the valve itself is faulty and must be replaced. Hope this helps you out. Cheers, Tom
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 6, 2011, 05:31 PM
    The over flow valve (pressure safety release) is probably bad. Happens quite often. Replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Hotwater heater [ 3 Answers ]

Hot water heater want ignite. What could be the problem? Pilot light is on but no ignition.

Hotwater heater HELP! Fast please [ 2 Answers ]

We have well water, today we lost all the pressure and we got no water. We would just turn the handle on in the kitchen or bathroom and nothing would happen. Well he wife had her dad come over to fix it, I don't know what he did but after he left we had water. Now, later on in the night I get ready...

Low hotwater pressure, plumber wants $$ to fix, I think I can do it myself [ 35 Answers ]

I'm fairly handy but the whole gas/hot water thing intimidates me. I have a 10-12 year old Rheeem Ruud hotwater tank and my hot water be it hot - has horrible pressure from every faucet. The plumber wants at least $100 dollars to come fix it and said they know exactly what it is - and made...

Low hotwater pressure [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, the upstairs shower is only trickling when turn to hot. It's a one knob with hot/cold. The two sinks in the same bathroom are working just fine with hot. One thing, this shower is hardly ever use by the family. What could be the problem? Thanks

View more questions Search