Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erin3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Strange Situation, advice please!
    Sorry this is so lengthy.
    I leased a business, when the lease ran out we were finacially unable to renew. We owed an enormous amount of money at the time (around $60,000). One of the suppliers we owed told me not to pay the debt to them because the contract we'd signed placed the responsibility of the debt on the owner of the company we'd leased from (he signed the contract as well). We owed about $30,000 to this one supplier. I didn't feel it was right to leave someone else with this sort of debt because of my failure and paid what I could over the course of the next year. About six months into the year ( I was making weekly payments) the supplier began sending me bills which included interest charges which were over double what I was making for payments. So, each month, despite my payments, my debt grew.
    I wrote to the company and explained I could not pay more than what I currently paying and asked them to drop the interest charges. They responded by sending a note saying they would contact the business' current owner (the note was handwritten on top of another statement with the interest added again. I didn't see how this was an answer to my question. I attempted to call the company, but each time was only able to reach people's voicemail and not an actual person. I left messages several times with my home number, work number and email address. No one ever contacted me back.
    I still continued to pay each week. At this point I had been paying for 14 months and the monthly statements were still showing my balance as getting larger and larger. I finally sent a check with a letter stating I would not make another payment until someone contacted me about my issue with the interest. After not hearing from anyone (and the check I sent with the letter having cleared the bank) I began calling again. As before, I couldn't reach a live person and only was able to leave voicemails that were again, not returned.
    Two days ago ( this is four months since my last payment) I received my first statement since I had stopped paying and at the top was a handwritten message that simply said "waiting for court papers". I called them again the next morning and left another voicemail. This time I did get called back but all the guy said was he was calling me from his cell phone, didn't have good enough phone service to talk and would call me at 8AM the next morning. Well, I waited all day and he never called. I called him three times and left voicemails for him.
    What am I supposed to do? I am not trying to "run away" from the debt, I want it paid and over with. I cannot afford to pay the remainder in one lump sum or I would have. I just don't want to make payments for the rest of my life only to watch the balance continue to grow. Why would they not make an attempt to even speak to me? Do I continue to call and write? Or do I just leave it alone and wait for a court date? It seems bizarre to take me to court when I am willing to pay. Is there anything I should do to prepare myself before going to court? I really cannot afford an attorney or even to miss work. This debt hasn't shown up on my credit report yet as being owed or late. I just can't understand why they wouldn't want to even allow me five minutes to talk to them about the matter.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2006, 12:08 AM
    Hold off until your court date.

Have you considered bankruptcy?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2006, 10:33 AM
    First I can't image a debt that the person you leased the business from would be responsbile for, I really believe that should be looked into also.

But beyond that, 60,000 is not a large business debt ( I could tell you about business debt about 20 times that amount)

Several things, first you need to work out in writing a payment plan, not letting them add interst that they want, but only what the agreement to the debt allows. If they won't do that, and you can't pay them as they want, you have no option but to go to court, The judge can order a garnishment of your pay to about 25 percent of your check.
    erin3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 08:04 PM
    I have no reason to go through bankruptcy. I have paid all but $10,000 of the debt back. I believe that has shown an attempt on my part to pay. Which is why I can't understand why they will not work with me.
    As for the contract... the original was signed by a business owner. A clause was added to include my lease. In it is stated any debt left at the end of my lease would become his ( the owners ) resposibility. His name is actually on all the bills as well. However, I have been the only one repaying them and the only one threatened with court. I only want the interested removed from the bill and to avoid court costs. Is their nothing that I can do at this point?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've gotten myself in a bad situation [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, me and my boyfriend were perfect. Neither of us were the jealous type, we could go out to the bars and have fun and laugh. Not only were we lovers we were best friends. We had fun doing just about anything and nothing. Everyone envied our relationship. Then about 2 months ago, I started...

Unfortunate situation, need some advice. [ 8 Answers ]

I'll try to be as brief as possible. My thanks in advance to all who take the time to understand this situation, and offer advice. My mother (age 58) has deeded one acre of land to my sister. This acre is adjacent to my mothers' home in Texas. The purpose of this gift was to enable my sister...

What to do about my situation [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 96 T/C Van with 137,000 miles and a V6 me and my wife and kids went to Ohio over the weekend and on the way back it just stopped running on the interstate.before I Had a upstream o2 sensor replaced by the crysler dealership and they said they ran a diag.test on it said everything is fine...

My Situation... [ 18 Answers ]

I had been dating this girl for about 15 months. We seem to have been perfect for each other. We almost never got into arguments and when we did, it was over within an hour. Everything was just going perfectly, we considered marriage in the future (after college in like two years) and both had...

Complicated Tax Situation(Advice Needed) [ 5 Answers ]

To tax experts I have a complicated tax situation, I am working on OPT for a company since may 2005, I got married in September and my wife came to america on dependent F-2 visa, She got her L-1 approved recently and she has started working for a company since dec 15th. I am really...

View more questions Search