Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Scott who?
    The big story today is former Bush Press Secretary Scott McClellan's "scathing criticisms" of Bush in his new memoir. As I recall, past discussions of Mr. McClellan concluded - on both sides of the debate - that he was an incompetent boob.

Current Press Secretary Dana Perino and McClellan target Karl Rove both say this is not the Scott they knew. The critical excerpts in this article seem to back that up - they are identical to the anti-Bush talking points we've all heard (and many of you have used) for the past 5 years.

Now that his memoirs are out, is he still just an incompetent boob, or has he suddenly become brilliant?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

May 28, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Basically McClellan didn't tell me anything I already didn't know about the nuances of the Bush admin. I saw how the Dubya PR machine went after McCain in the 2000 primaries and how Bush handled the last seven and half years in office. While I know that Scott embellished several of the stories, there are nuggets of truth to his accusations much like McNamee vs. Clemens. We all know Clemens did the steroids. I'm one the biggest Clemens fans, but the guy should had taken the Pettitte route and this would had been old news and done away with.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
    What better way to sell a book, than to spew mouthfuls of crap, regardless of accuracy or truth.

Get one side or the other all riled up, so they start talking about your book, all over the TV, Radio, and print media.

Yes, he is an ingenious, incompetent boob.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 04:55 PM
    The operative word is "was " . He will now be the toast of the MSNBC talk show circuit.
    Hey ;everyone's got to make a buck ! What better way to secure your future prospects then to get in with the Washington insider coffee klatch and cocktail party crowd. Why not? It has worked well for David Gergen ;Morning Joe Scarborough , Richard Clarke ,Colin Powell ,and dare I say John McCain when he was the media darling (before he returned to the dark side).

Today my thoughts and prayers are with Tony Snow
    Former Bush press secretary Snow, sick, cancels Ohio speech
    I will have more to say on the paper mache rat McClellan later.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 02:33 AM
    McClellan from the press room on Richard Clarke's book :Why didn't Clark speak up with his concerns and objections while he was part of the Administration? He never did that; now a year and a half after he leaves he comes out with this book.

OK here's the story . Scotty's mom,Carole Keeton Strayhorn is a Texas Republican "reformer " which means she is a lib .She ran for Guv against incumbent Rick good hair Perry . Scotty thought that the Bush political machine would help his mom out but she got no support at all from the State GOP and got trounced.
    This could be payback time...

Or

A 'like father like son' situation .

Scotty's old man ,Oliver Barr McClellan,was an operative in the LBJ administation.

From Wikipedia : Initially he was attorney-clerk for the National Labor Relations Board; soon after, he became attorney for a Commissioner of the Federal Power Commission.....

In 1966 McClellan joined the legal firm of Clark, Thomas, Harris, Denius and Winters, based in Austin. At that time the firm was run by the partners Edward Clark, Sam Winters, Don Thomas, Martin Harris and Frank Denius. The firm was closely associated with Lyndon B. Johnson and the Democratic Party in Texas. McClellan's work included advising on political strategy, campaign contributions, media issues, and labor disputes.

His old man later started his own law firm and made some $ through litigation involving Ford Pintos and tobacco cases.

But the old man got in trouble .During litigation with a local bank, McClellan resigned his Texas law license. The litigation was subsequently dismissed and McClellan resigned in lieu of disciplinary action by the State Bar of Texas Office of the Chief Disciplinary Counsel.

So the old man decided to cash in on his time in Washington and his target was his old bosses LBJ and Edward Clark .

Disallowed from practicing law, McClellan published Blood, Money & Power: How LBJ Killed JFK, in 2003 which became a best-seller in November of that year. In the book McClellan presents a theory that Lyndon B. Johnson and Edward Clark were involved in the planning and cover-up of the Kennedy assassination. ..... McClellan purports that Clark got $6 million for this work.

Guess Scotty and Bush won't be hangin together on the porch remembering the good ole days .
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Update :

Congressman Wexler wants to haul Scotty's butt before the House Judiciary Committee under oath to testify in Wexler's ongoing dog and pony show over the Plame case. That should be fun . May Scotty spend all his royalties on lawyer fees ! He implies that Rove and Scooter Libby went behind closed doors to “collude”. He says “I have no idea what they discussed, but it seemed suspicious for these two, whom I had never noticed spending any one-on-one time together, to go behind closed doors and visit privately".
    There-in lies all the evidence he has that two major White House operatives ,who probably coordinated the activities of the offices of the VP and the President hundreds of times ,were colluding during the Plame investigation... he saw them go into an office together. Lol
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 10:24 AM
    “The admissions made by Scott McClellan in his new book are earth-shattering and allege facts to establish that Karl Rove and Scooter Libby – and possibly Vice President Cheney - conspired to obstruct justice by lying about their role in the Plame Wilson matter and that the Bush Administration deliberately lied to the American people in order to take us to war in Iraq. Scott McClellan must now appear before the House Judiciary Committee under oath to tell Congress and the American people how President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Karl Rove, Scooter Libby, and White House officials deliberately orchestrated a massive propaganda campaign to sell the war in Iraq to the American people.” -Congressman Robert Wexler
    I guess Wexler doesn't get around much - too tied up in trying to impeach Cheney to realize the earth-shattering moments have long passed.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 11:11 AM
    News flash (no one tell Wexler please )... Richard Armitage leaked the name of Valerie Plame to the press.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    news flash (no one tell Wexler please ) ........Richard Armitage leaked the name of Valerie Plame to the press.
    And he admitted it...
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Bob Dole does a hammer time on Scotty

Jonathan Martin's Blog: Bob Dole unloads on McClellan - Politico.com
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    LOL, no kidding:

"In my nearly 36 years of public service I've known of a few like you," Dole writes, recounting his years representing Kansas in the House and Senate. "No doubt you will 'clean up' as the liberal anti-Bush press will promote your belated concerns with wild enthusiasm. When the money starts rolling in you should donate it to a worthy cause, something like, 'Biting The Hand That Fed Me.' Another thought is to weasel your way back into the White House if a Democrat is elected. That would provide a good set up for a second book deal in a few years"
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

May 30, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Just in case you guys are not aware: the White House approved the book and knew about before it was sold to the public.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 11:00 PM
    It is too little, too late. It really doesn't reveal the "axis of energy" plan that explains McSame's "100" year war.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 03:08 AM
    It reveal nothing new . Scotty is just reguritating Keith Olberman talking points. Truth is that Scotty is clearly upset that he was not in the inner circle... That he was irrelevant except to the point that Bush felt a loyalty to some of the "Texas Mafia " that helped him get elected . Given their performance (except Rove) one could say that Bush's loyalty to them (Karen Hughes , Harriot Miers , Scott McClellan,Alberto Gonzales , Joe Allbaugh and others ) may turn out to be the fatal flaw of his administration .For the most part they did not serve him well in Washington.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Hello:

I didn't read it... But, I believe every word.

excon
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 10:14 AM
    I think Bush's father was a reasonable and just President. In fact, I have spent a little time with the man (in a non-political arena).
    Mr. Reagan was a leader who I often differed with, but there were still bi-partisan handshakes across the aisle at the end of the day.
    The days of wise and respected leadership are on hold.

My heart goes out to all those folks who still want to defend the Bush administration. It is hard to watch one's party march relentlessly without a plan for success for years on end. To be an ever shrinking minority drowned in the facts and realities of two terms of problematic leadership is tough. To question one's own family (in this case party) is not always natural or comfortable.

Still, to have one person after another, after another feel an obligation to clear their conscience after leaving (Paul O'Neil, Whitman, Wilson, McClellan, A growing list of Generals,. etc.) Are they all simple greedy vindictive pawns? They were all embraced and respected upon their entry into the administration.

I think the facts would stretch any party loyalist a little thin. I fully believe McClellan is telling the truth - and he was considered "one of ours" - as was Paul O'Neil - which makes it harder to marginalize them.

This president was not the man for the job. And it has/will become more apparent every day.

I would have liked it to have been different. But one cannot reside on the small island of denial forever - for fear of drowning.
    Time to look to the future. And embrace these "canaries" as a source of information that will shine a light on how not to repeat this madness.

McClellan was a man clearing his conscience and yes, making a dollar, but he's hardly a simple mercenary pen.
    As for other "Sell-outs"? (Well, here's another, who ironically didn't need the money): Bush Sought 'Way' To Invade Iraq?, O'Neill Tells '60 Minutes' Iraq Was 'Topic A' 8 Months Before 9-11 - CBS News
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Hello again:

It's apparent to me that Bush is and has been, a puppet of Cheney.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 06:43 PM
    PS - I think McClellan showed guts in pissing off a standing president.

I think this is going to refocus the light where it belongs - at the TOP: Good or bad - the white house knows exactly what's going on.

Though it is easy to forget that sometimes...
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 07:53 PM
    I don't doubt for a moment that he is telling the truth. I just think his truth is old news and too little too late. Most of us know what the middle east war is all about.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    I don't doubt for a moment that he is telling the truth. I just think his truth is old news and too little too late. Most of us know what the middle east war is all about.
    You may be wiser than most.

I wish it was old news.

But as the White House continues to obfuscate, the law and accountability still have not found their way to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scott Riding Lawnmower [ 2 Answers ]

Were is the starter solenoid located .

Congratulations Scott! [ 16 Answers ]

I just want to congratulate ScottGem on being a newly published author! ;) It is nice to have such a high level of professionalism on Ask Me Help Desk. We are very lucky. InformIT: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA - $31.99

View more questions Search