Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Astaras Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Acer Aspire 1600 HDD Failure?
    Hello, I have an Acer Aspire 1600 laptop, It suddenly gave "Disk Error" message when booting - white text/dark screen/upper left corner. I reboot and it can not find HDD. The HDD is Hitachi DK23EA-40 (ATA-5 Enhanced IDE - not that I understand... ), original from factory. I can reach BIOS - the HDD is seen there (Primary), but that's it. I used the ACER recovery discs and they can not help. The issue (confusing) is that I keep on getting different error messages - all relating to HDD. Typical is to get after the "Press F2/F12" stage in start up (dark screen/white text): "Disk Error. Press any key to restart". With Win98 Acer recovery disc, I get a DOS prompt - managed to see c: driver <dir> content once - never again. Now it says "Volume in Drive C is MS-Ramdrive Directory C: File not Found." The WinXP Acer discs fail to find a large drive to install. Once reached the SafeMode options - still failed to boot.Is the HDD dead? Could it be contact issue? Memory? Would love your advice! :confused:
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

May 28, 2008, 11:27 AM
    I would boot to the winXP cd, and then go into Recovery Console when it gives you the option, and run Checkdisk from there. Here are some more specific instructions:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console - Windows xp - Geeks to Go!

That *Might* help, but I suspect that the drive is going bad. I'm guessing it's 2-3 years old or older? Generally that's when a hard drive will start to fail. Most will last at least 2 years, but it's kindof hit and miss after that. You can take two of the same model, and one will last 3 years, one will last 10.
    Astaras Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Thanks! Indeed, the laptop (and the HDD) are both >4 years old (bought it in Fall 2003), and they have travelled across the globe in VERY challenging settings (rain forests etc. ridiculously bumpy roads... the whole works). So, yes, I am not surprised if the HDD goes... The rest of the system worked fine though and it is a pitty to lose the whole laptop. I will run the checkdisk (if possible) application you suggested (although I am not optimistic) and I will start looking for a replacement of the HDD. I just hope that there is no other hidden problem. Thanks again! If something inetresting comes, I will inform the forum. :o
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

May 28, 2008, 08:07 PM
    If the rest of it is in good condition, a new hard drive shouldn't cost more than $150. You can probably get it for a lot less, depending on how big you need it to be. It's cheaper than replacing the whole thing :)

Even if it doesn't fix the drive, checkdisk might be able to help you get some information off it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to reboot an acer aspire 5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all just wondered what keys I need to use to reboot an acer aspire 5000 to factory settings as I haven't a disk .

How to run Aspire 1410 recovery CD? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I bought my labtop(Acer Aspire 1410) and window XP home edition was pre-installed. Now I want to renew my system/ recover. I got Window XP recovery CD but there is a special method to run that CD, because it dosen't run itself and I tried to put command :C but it didn't work... Can...

Men and Women in 1600 [ 1 Answers ]

what are some roles of men and women in 1600?:o In england and america.

View more questions Search