Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joanna R Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 06:32 AM
    The print spooler service is not running!
    I am in need of some help!

I do not seem to be able to print anything. When I click on Start / Control Panel/ Printers and other Hardware / View installed printers there is nothing there! I then try to add a printer where I get a warning box saying ' operation could not be completed the print spooler service is not running' When I try to start the print spooler I get the following 'Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 2: The system can not find the file specified'

I have tried to re install the printer software but that keeps failing!

Has anyone got any idea's!! I am in desperate need of my printer now :confused: :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 28, 2008, 06:34 AM
    You need to restart the print spooler service.

Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services.
    Find Print Spooler and click START.

May 28, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Hello,

I have tried that and I get 'Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 2: The system can not find the file specified' any other idea's.
    Thank you for your advise. Jo.
    BossMan

May 28, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Reboot and see if that helps as it normally does.

When was the last time it worked correctly ?

May 28, 2008, 07:33 AM
    It was working fine yesterday, but at the end of the day I kept getting a virus warning!! I have Norton Anti Virus. I am afraid I don't know much when it comes to computers so just turned it off and when I came in today all seemed fine apart from this printing problem! Will reboot now and see if that helps! Many thanks

May 28, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Hi,
    Still no luck! I think I have made more of a mess now as I un-installed the printer and am trying to re-install, but the computer is not recognising the printer!
    BossMan

May 28, 2008, 08:08 AM
    No worries.
    In that case time to do a system restore as you say it worked yesterday.

Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore.

Follow the directions and I'd go back a few days, to say Monday or even the week end.
    Once you have done that it sounds like you might need to do some maintenance.

My maintenance pointers are here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...tml#post997846

May 28, 2008, 08:28 AM
    You are an absolute STAR!! All back to normal and working perfectly!!
    Thank you so so much.

Jo.
    BossMan

May 28, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Now get your maintenance done ;)

Ps it's what we do here.
    Glad I could help.

May 28, 2008, 08:31 AM
    I certainly will, looking at it now.
    Thank you again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Print spooler not working :( help please [ 17 Answers ]

OK first of all my dad wanted to move the computer so he just unplugged all the wires and replugged them... before we moved the computer, the printer was still working and after we moved the computer, and replugged the printer, the hp deskjet printer is missing when I go to "Printers and Faxes" and...

Print spooler keeps stopping [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to install a printer but it keeps telling me the print spooler has stopped. I went into component services and re-started the print spooler service. I tried to install the printer again and again it tells me the print spooler stopped. I go back and check and yes, it quit again. Also...

Print Spooler is stopped automatically [ 1 Answers ]

In one of the server in our network, print spooler is automatically stopped even though if we start it. In next 5 minutes it is automatically getting stopped by giving the error "Spooler Subsystem App encountered a problem and need to close". Let me know what could be the reason for this and how...

Print spooler keeps stopping [ 3 Answers ]

My print spooler stops before every print job. I have the vista operating system. It won't let me install any new printer:mad:

Print spooler [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I turn my computer on my print spooler is running and I have to go in to my computer and the manage area and shut it down and then go back in and start it back up every time I want to print something. Is there anyway to debug it so I don't have to do this every time?

View more questions Search