Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kOrEAnOwl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Disrespectful Neighbors...
    Living in CT, what are laws pertaining to neighbors, that play loud music all day long, and musical instruments all hours of the night, to the point where we can't hear the T.V. and the floor is vibrating. This has been a feud since he moved in. Cops were involved before, but nothing came about. Just, "stay out of his way and stay out of his way". "No Contact" rule. Anyway, just wondering if there's anything I can do before lawyers and such get involved.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Hi,
    Now, do you live in an apartment? If so, contact the apartment manager.
    Is this in a single dwelling home? And they are right next door to you? If so, call the Sheriff.
    Best of luck.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 03:29 PM
    There are certain noise bylaws. Check online for information relating to your area.

Example, where I live, you can't make any excessive noise after 11pm at night. Example, no playing music that can be heard on the street.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 03:40 PM
    During the day, the restrictions are a lot less, but at night there are distubing the pease type laws everywhere fairly well.

If you live in city limits call the police department, if you live in county call the sheriff office.

Also you may be directed to go to court and file charges directly, but you would need evidence ( video taping with sound)

If the house is a retal house, also call the land lord who owns the property.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Mar 2, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Ya know Im from CT too and Id like to know that too. Good question.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Here is the Statute for your state bizygurl *& kOReanOwl

Sec. 22a-67. State policy regarding noise. (a) The legislature finds and declares that: (1) Excessive noise is a serious hazard to the health, welfare and quality of life of the citizens of the state of Connecticut; (2) exposure to certain levels of noise can result in physiological, psychological and economic damage; (3) a substantial body of science and technology exists by which excessive noise may be substantially abated; (4) the primary responsibility for control of noise rests with the state and the political subdivisions thereof; (5) each person has a right to an environment free from noise that may jeopardize his health, safety or welfare.

(b) The policy of the state is to promote an environment free from noise that jeopardizes the health and welfare of the citizens of the state of Connecticut. To that end, the purpose of this chapter is to establish a means for effective coordination of research and activities in noise control, to authorize the establishment of state noise emission standards and the enforcement of such standards, and to provide information to the public respecting noise pollution.

(P.A. 74-328, S. 1, 12.)

Link to the rest of it:
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap442.htm
    Doc Sun Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2006, 11:11 AM
    I assume you live in an apt with the loud guy below you. A shame and I feel your pain. Going to the law or etc is usually not productive as I have found .

If you know a techie, geek, tweek or what ever ask for some help. If you don't know one they make great friends so find one.

Fight fire with fire. You want noise ? I'll give you some noise right back. Have your new friend install a floor mounted tactile transducer.I made one for less the $20. When the bad guys turn up the volume show them what volume is plus about 100 DB of feedback.

When the landlord shows up tell them it's the guys below not me. It's real hard to pinpoint the sound source of the transducer.(sub woofer thingie)

Just my free advice which is worth just what you paid for it.
    rugrat46 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
    I have the same problem.Neighbor's wife passed away in Jan. He now has 6 people living there (they give him their ssr checks to stay there). Constant fighting, running in the streets swearing,fireworks,(damaged my wife's car).The police show up at his house between 7 and 10 times a week, but say they can't do anything. I'ts a shame, the gas and power company show up at our house looking for him, due to delinquint bills. They are afraid to shut off his utilities due to his DEAD WIFE being on oxygen. As I said before, I sympasize with you as it seems like Connecticut is the only state where the "good" people support the "bad"

Aug 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
    I have the same problem.Neighbor's wife passed away in Jan. He now has 6 people living there (they give him their ssr checks to stay there). Constant fighting, running in the streets swearing,fireworks,(damaged my wife's car).The police show up at his house between 7 and 10 times a week, but say they can't do anything. I'ts a shame, the gas and power company show up at our house looking for him, due to delinquint bills. They are afraid to shut off his utilities due to his DEAD WIFE being on oxygen. As I said before, I sympasize with you as it seems like Connecticut is the only state where the "good" people support the "bad"

Aug 22, 2010, 09:46 AM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rude Neighbors [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I have neighbors who continuously invite themselves over to gatherings I have at my house, or gatherings my neighbors have (where we've been invited). This has been going on for 2-3 years now! We've just become close to neighbors on the other side of their house, and if we're over there,...

Is it legal for our neighbors to take pictures of us without us knowing? [ 4 Answers ]

I run an english bulldog rescue and our city limit on dogs is 2. I have 2 and then will have a foster homes so the animals aren't staying here. Our neighbors do not like us for whatever reason pretty much from day one. We have a share driveway and that doesn't help the relationship much but...

Neighbors bushes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my neighbors bushes hanging past my property line. This wouldn't be such a big deal except the bushes a very thorny and a huge pain to mow under. If I asked my neighbors to trim them and they don't, is it legal for me to trim them? And how long should I wait for them to do...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

View more questions Search