Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clbc18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Child abuse charges
    I was babysitting a one year old boy in my home for about a month. He has a 4 yr.old sister that started getting off the school bus at my house. She came on a Thursday, and then the following Friday. That Friday night, the parents called, I was not home, but returned their call. They said the boy had a bruise on his back,and they called the sheriff on us. The little girl said my husband did it, but I know he did not because he was working all day, got home at 4:00, and the kids left a t 4:45, and they were never with him alone. The DHS is investigating this, but the will probably recommend parenting classes, but the parents and the sheriff are trying to pursue criminal charges. Does anyone know anything about this type of thing? Do we need an attorney, or do we need to wait and see if any charges are filed? Please Help!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Hi,
    If in fact, you know that the sheriff is trying to pursue criminal charges, then yes, I would get a lawyer. The lawyer can offer Professional advice on what to do or not do. I am not a lawyer, nor a Professional in this area. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 03:24 PM
    I hope you had baby sat this boy professionally. If this was a favour, don’t do them any favours.

The bruises could be accidental (he is 1) or could have been inflicted by the father, mother, or even sister. Being falsely accused sucks, and a lawyer will be able to give you some advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Yes an attoreny and don't make any statements to anyone until you talk to him, including Children services.

And don't agree to parenting classes with them until you talk to your attorney. If you agree basically you are saying you are guilty, and you will have a record with children services for abuse of a child, even if not criminal, this can prevent your husband from various licences and jobs and bonding in the future. This is a very, very serious charge and issue.

Children services does not need the same level of proof as a court of law to find your guilty, so an attorney and they should have been the first person you talked to when you hung up from the parents saying you did this.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Mar 2, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Defenitly seek legal help immediately. If this is true and you and your husband are innocent then these people need to be stopped. I often hear of a lot of people these days hurting their kids and blaming on other people usually a caregiver, teacher anyone that spends a lot of time with the child. This is serious don't take it lightly.
    mommabearly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clbc18
    I was babysitting a one year old boy in my home for about a month. He has a 4 yr.old sister that started getting off the school bus at my house. She came on a Thursday, and then the following Friday. That Friday night, the parents called, I was not home, but returned their call. They said the boy had a bruise on his back,and they called the sheriff on us. The little girl said my husband did it, but I know he did not because he was working all day, got home at 4:00, and the kids left a t 4:45, and they were never with him alone. The DHS is investigating this, but the will probably recommend parenting classes, but the parents and the sheriff are trying to pursue criminal charges. Does anyone know anything about this type of thing? Do we need an attorney, or do we need to wait and see if any charges are filed? Please Help!
    Yes, get an attorney immediately!! Do not wait

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enter revolving charges vs long term debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hello - I am a novice bookkeeper in need of some advice. I am using a double-entry bookkeeping system. I enter monthly credit card charges (purchases and fees), which post against a long-term debt acct. Each month, the credit card company informs me of a minimum amount due on the overall credit...

Think we are getting scammed with trumped up charges after moving out [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Virginia. We recently moved out of an apartment that we had been renting for one 1/2 years. The apartment complex is only two years old. Since we broke the lease to buy our house, we had to pay for all of August, though someone was scheduled to move in on August 20. We were to be...

Abuse? [ 10 Answers ]

I don't know where to start... I am wondering when behavior becomes abusive. My husband and I have been together for 13 years and I don't know if I am in an abusive relationship. I'm not even sure I want to know. We met in highshcool and shortly after I became pregnant, 3 months to be...

Settlement charges, how to claim on federal taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am not sure how to claim and what I can claim for settlement charges for my house. I was charged... 300 processing fee 345 application fee 1500 broker fee 65 tax service 50 funding fee 595 underwriting fee -38.12 interest 595 insurance premium for the year

View more questions Search