Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manga Posts: 92, Reputation: 10

May 27, 2008, 05:15 PM
    The feelings feel right
    I have met an incredible guy but lives not where I live. I don't intend on taking things seriously now. We have so much in common and think the same way about relationships. We talk everyday the only thing that makes me hesitant is how far away he lives. I met him on my vacation and hung out with him twice. He comes off very genuine and honest. For hanging out with me for only two days he tells me I'm beautiful every time I talk to him. I don't feel he is bullting me but who knows a good bullter right? Anyway I've never had so much in common with someone and talk to someone on the phone for hours. It just feels right... Before I would date and there were moments that didn't feel right but I'd just dismiss those feelings and make them right. I learned later on not to do that.

Anyone with there experience on their gutfeelings about someone theyhave dated. I just know ot feels right but there's no one way I can ratinalize why it is. Does "the one" come off like this at first. I know its so soon to tell and without personal interaction would be hard. Please any advice appreciated. If there is anything else you may need to know further about to give me advice.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 27, 2008, 06:57 PM
    You feelings for each other, or even yours alone, are no indication whatsoever on the long-term chances for success. You're trying to base future commitment on feelings, and commitment is based on action and sacrifice.

Except to get you going dating someone and to make it feel nice along the way, your feelings play a very small part in whether you will succeed together or not. That is based entirely on your willingness to put the other person first, make sacrifices about your life and conveniences and attitude, give up your need to win and be right all the time, and generally whether you are making them defend themselves all the time against your high expectations.

It takes a LOT to make a relationship work. Your feelings are automatic, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them.

Also, your guy is courting you, so what he SAYS is also pretty suspect. Grant you, I'm sure he DOES think you're pretty, but he's not telling you that all the time to make YOU feel good, he's saying that to make HIMSELF look good in your eyes.

And that's fine. Compliments have their place, too. Just don't be led too far down the path by them.

Eventually, you have to decide if a real relationship is going to happen here or not. For that to happen, one of you has to move closer to the other WITHOUT MOVING IN WITH EACH OTHER. (omg people are crazy).

Dating is risk, commitment is sacrifice, convenience is irrelevant... resistance is futile (sorry, couldn't resist.)

What do you think?

May 28, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    You feelings for each other, or even yours alone, are no indication whatsoever on the long-term chances for success. You're trying to base future commitment on feelings, and commitment is based on action and sacrifice.

Except to get you going dating someone and to make it feel nice along the way, your feelings play a very small part in whether you will succeed together or not. That is based entirely on your willingness to put the other person first, make sacrifices about your life and conveniences and attitude, give up your need to win and be right all the time, and generally whether or not you are making them defend themselves all the time against your high expectations.

It takes a LOT to make a relationship work. Your feelings are automatic, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them.

Also, your guy is courting you, so what he SAYS is also pretty suspect. Grant you, I'm sure he DOES think you're pretty, but he's not telling you that all the time to make YOU feel good, he's saying that to make HIMSELF look good in your eyes.

And that's fine. Compliments have their place, too. Just don't be led too far down the path by them.

Eventually, you have to decide if a real relationship is going to happen here or not. For that to happen, one of you has to move closer to the other WITHOUT MOVING IN WITH EACH OTHER. (omg people are crazy).

Dating is risk, commitment is sacrifice, convenience is irrelevant....resistance is futile (sorry, couldn't resist.)

What do you think?

Also, there's not much we can do right now. He has ties at where he lives and so do I. Eventually, we would like to take it further. There's not much we can right now the feelings are a little overwhelming and I try to rationalize them. I do understand taking action to show commitment for a relationship.. What do I do for right now?
    Software Expert

May 28, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Right now you stay honest. The distance alone makes this an uncomfortable non-relationship with emotional connections. Awful, isn't it?

As long as you elevate what this is in your mind above what it REALLY is, you both pay a dear price. There may be perfectly fine and wonderful local people you two could be daily interacting with in a real face to face dating life. You could. But you won't.

Your life and time is yours to spend as you will. Just be clear about you're doing, don't get all misty about it, don't claim to be confused (my favorite here on the forum). You're putting your dating life in perpetual first gear for the "hope" you might be able to do something much later.

May 29, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    Right now you stay honest. The distance alone makes this an uncomfortable non-relationship with emotional connections. Awful, isn't it?

As long as you elevate what this is in your mind above what it REALLY is, you both pay a dear price. There may be perfectly fine and wonderful local people you two could be daily interacting with in a real face to face dating life. You could. But you won't.

Your life and time is yours to spend as you will. Just be clear about you're doing, don't get all misty about it, don't claim to be confused (my favorite here on the forum). You're putting your dating life in perpetual first gear for the "hope" you might be able to do something much later.

For right now I'm just going to enjoy the conversations. I don't feel confused about how I feel if I just let the things we talk about just be. I'm kind of just going with the mind set of whatever happens happens. Right now it is what it is. Otherwise letting feelings get in the way makes me think irrational.

Does this sound right?
    Software Expert

May 29, 2008, 09:22 PM
    "It is what it is"

Get that on a t-shirt!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It doesn't feel right nor does it feel the same no more [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfreind and I have been going out since June 2 2007. Before when he asked me to be his girlfriend he use to talk to me more on msn and use to care a lot. But now its like everything is going wrong I got really mad at him. I am not sure if how I'm acting is the way a good girlfreind should be...

Suiciding feel versus my living feel [ 4 Answers ]

hi all, I was good in studies at early stages and always conceal my sexual feels. Before one year I proposed to one girl my love. Surprisingly we two are loving one another. But we met once in 6 months. That's I met her recently after 5-6 months. But my problem is I am loving her without...

What does he feel for me?/does he have feelings for me [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I've been with my ex boyfriend for about 3 months we were happy and we had a good time.all of a sudden he had broken up with me because he was having problems and his dad had past away.we haven't talk for a couple weeks but when I went back to schoolwe started talking and he had called me and...

Does my ex have feelings for me when he is seeing someone else [ 7 Answers ]

My ex broke up with me about four weeks ago, we had dated for 18 months. He is in his mid 30's and I am in my mid 20's. I didn't think we'd speak again. There seemed to be no reason for the breakup other than that he was under a lot of stress at the time and couldn't handle. I am absolutely certain...

New boyfriend.but feelings for your ex [ 2 Answers ]

My ex has a new girlfriend and I have a new boyfriend. Every time I'm with my new guy, all I can think is about my ex... is that wrong?? And everything that me and my boyfriend do.. I always compare it for some reason.. And my ex does the same thing too... as he "told" me. So should I break up...

View more questions Search