Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billbus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Wrench Size for JD GT245 Mower Blade?
    Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what size wrench to use to remove the three John Deere GT245 mower blades. It is close to 3/4", but that size is a bit large. 11/16" is a bit small. Could it be 18 mm?

Also, I am supposed to turn the bolts Counterclockwise, right? :)

Thanks for your help.

This is getting frustrating...

Happy Trails,

Bill B.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 05:16 PM
    18mm Turn counterclockwise to loosen. Put a blade buster or use a 2x4 to hold the blades from turning on you
    billbus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    18mm Turn counterclockwise to loosen. Put a blade buster or use a 2x4 to hold the blades from turning on you
    I'm kind of amazed that John Deere would be using Metric size bolts! I'll have to go find an 18 mm socket. It seems that most wrench sets go from 17 to 19, and miss 18 mm altogether.

I did try forcing an 11/16 wrench, the size of which other groups mentioned, onto one of the bolts and turning with a cheater bar. I wound up breaking the socket! It didn't strip. It completely broke the barrel of the socket!

I'll go pick up an 18 mm. Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman mower stopped moving but blade engagement still works and mower starts [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone help me determine why my craftsman kohler engine 16hp manuel transmission riding lawnmower stopped being able to move but still is able to turn on/off and engage the mower blade? I have checked the clutch but it appears to work since the mower is able to be turned on/off. All of the...

How to engage mower blade [ 1 Answers ]

I have a used Murray riding mower that does not have a manual. I need to know what adjustment or repair is needed to "engage" the mower blades. Nothing happens when I push the handel forward. I adjusted a screw type device (just above the deck) that increased the torque one time before that...

Mower blade [ 1 Answers ]

What causes the mower blades to keep turning,when these not engaged?

Riding mower blade [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an older snapper riding mower, why does the blade rotate when its not engaged?

Removing riding mower blade [ 4 Answers ]

I am unable to remove my mower blade on my craftsman riding mower LT1000. I removed the top nut but I am unsure if I knock down the shaft with a hammer or take it off another way please help so I can sharpen my mower blades. Thank you mike

View more questions Search