Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parisgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 03:39 PM
    I'm American and want dual USA/French citizenship.
    Hello - I'm new to the site...

I'm American, wish to live in France and want to have dual US/French Citizenship. I've poured over info but nothing seems to answer this odd question:

My maternal grandmother is from SPAIN. Parents are from Argentina (dad's side are from Italy). Is there an "easier" route to obtaining French citizenship with my family background/lineage being from Europe? If not, how do I go about living/working in France legally?

Thanks.
    :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 27, 2008, 04:37 PM
    You have to have at least one parent of the nationality you want to access. Makes no difference regarding grandparents. If you want to live/work in Europe, you can, but you have to return to your own country at certain intervals to retain your benefits. As a Canadian citizen, I can live in UK or France, b ut I must return every six months to keep my old age security and my Canada Pension, and most importantly, my socialized medicine.

I know you have posted before regarding this problem. I guess the info you received, which would have been almost the same didn't answer your questions. I suggest you go to France or inquire at the French Embassy. You can't have dual citizenship.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 27, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parisgirl

I'm American, wish to live in France and want to have dual US/French Citizenship. I've poured over info but nothing seems to answer this odd question:

My maternal grandmother is from SPAIN. Parents are from Argentina (dad's side are from Italy). Is there an "easier" route to obtaining French citizenship with my family background/lineage being from Europe? If not, how do I go about living/working in France legally?

Thanks.
    You can legally live in France if you are employed by French company or foreign company with office in France, etc,
    But to gain citizenship, I'm afraid the only choice is getting married to a French... :p
    loricar Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Yes, you can have dual citizenship, but it isn't easy. If you really want to get French citizenship, I can recommend a good jurist in Paris that is fluent in English and knows the French system inside out. He helped me get legal.

I live in France, have my US based business, retain my American citizenship, but own a home there and am a legal resident with the right to work. After 10 years of legal residence I can become a citizen if I so desire, assuming no legal scrapes and felonies.

Marriage is NOT the only way to get citizenship, especially for Americans, who are still viewed as more desirable immigrants than some other nationalities.
    loricar
    Stephen Gorevan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loricar
    Yes, you can have dual citizenship, but it isn't easy. If you really want to get French citizenship, I can recommend a good jurist in Paris that is fluent in English and knows the French system inside out. He helped me get legal.

I live in France, have my US based business, retain my American citizenship, but own a home there and am a legal resident with the right to work. After 10 years of legal residence I can become a citizen if I so desire, assuming no legal scrapes and felonies.

Marriage is NOT the only way to get citizenship, especially for Americans, who are still viewed as more desireable immigrants than some other nationalities.
    loricar
    Yes, I would love the name of the jurist in France to help me obtain my dual citizenship. I have business that may expand to France and I hope because my mother (now dead) was born in France and married a GI in WWII, that I can get a EU passport. Please advise Lroicar.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Amusing comment, loricar, about US citizens being the most desirable from any other nationalities and my understanding is, being a Canadian and having lived in France for a number of years, US are the least likely to learn the french language to live there.
    loricar Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 08:12 AM

Thanks.
    As the european connection is one generation removed, it isn't as obvious, but should still be do-able. There is a great jurist in Paris (bilingual) that I used to guide my efforts (with success) and his business is set up to help the ex-patriate US community in France with questions just such as yours. He has a monthly email newletter and he might be able to answer your question in it. His email : [email protected] and his website: JeanTaquet.com | A survival kit for Paris

Mr. Taquet helped me immensely, and he is great to work with.

Good luck!
    loricar
    oespanhol1 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 01:11 AM

Thanks.
    You should apply for an EU passport through the embassies of those EU countries where your forbears came from... You mention Italy and Spain so give them a call... An EU passport (which I got as well as my daughters through the Irish consulate here in NY) will enable you to live and work in any EU coutry, e,g,France... You can then apply for french citizenship if you still desire or want!. Bonne Chance!

Patrick
    french34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Married me and you take a french citizen :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US born, French Father, want dual French Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If anyone can assist me. I am US born with a French father. I have called the French Consulate in Los Angeles (my closest one) and they weren't helpful at all. In fact, I was treated poorly. I am trying to find out the steps necessary in order to obtain dual US/French citizenship. My...

French and American dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - does anybody know if I have any rights to French citizenship if I am a second generation American? My Mom's Mom was born in France, my mom was born in the US. I too was born in the US. Please and thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

View more questions Search