Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    englishtown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Rent hike
    By law, how much can a landlord raise your rent in a year?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

May 27, 2008, 01:49 PM
    The only state that I'm aware of that has limits is Calif. so other than that, rent can be raised as high as the landlord likes as long as you don't have a current lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Except in those areas that have rent control, they can raise them to that amount that the market place can handle. 10 to 15 percent is very common his year.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 27, 2008, 03:38 PM
    In NJ the increase must be "reasonable". If a landlord increases the rent by more than 20% you might have a very good case that it is not reasonable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit? Thanks... Jay

Reasons of recent food price hike [ 2 Answers ]

Can any one advice me about real reasons of recent food price hike. (ie. Direct, indirect reasons, impact of Govt. policies, Open trade policy etc.)

Price hike letter to customer [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Please help me to write a letter to our customers requesting a price hike in our tariff due to the recent hike in fuel rate

Prepaid Rent and Unearned Rent [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between Prepaid rent & unearned rent? Is this the same. And if in the Trial balance the account name is Unearned rent, then can we put in the liabilities side as Prepaid rent?

Another pic from yesterday's hike. [ 14 Answers ]

Another pic, from yesterday's hike in Charlestown, RI. The heat was brutal and the deer flies ate me alive. But it was nice near the shore. The more scientifically inclined may now be wondering if between the rabbit and the deer flies, I don't now have Tularemia, as well as Lyme! Only time will...

View more questions Search