Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mim Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Slowww PC
    McAffee slows my computer down to a sloths pace. I disabled it (McAffee that is). I have a Compaq Presario with an Athlon processor that I bought in 99. Windows 98 is the operating system. What to do? What to do? What is the prob? Do I just need to buy a new computer? I've had this one repaired twice in the past 6 months. Once by the local guy and once by the Geek Squad. I think it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to have this thing repaired again. Helllp!!
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 2, 2006, 08:18 AM
    That machine has served you well for 7 years. It's time to let it rest.
    I wouldn't spend another cent on this machine, I would buy a new computer.

Having said that though, did it just get slow recently? If Win98 has been running for a long time, it might just be time to start fresh and reformat/reinstall the system. A different AntiVirus package may give you some performance improvements.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Oh my, there's your two problems.
    1. McAfee
    And
    2. Compaq.

I hate both.

I would not put another penny into that old computer. You can have a new one with WinXP on it for $400-$500 that will probably be far better than what you have.

Here are some examples: http://www.powerspec.com/ (Those are sold by Microcenter)
    But I'll guess that most major retailers carry the bargain stuff.

Just my 1.5 cents worth... ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Hi,
    I also use Win98/98SE, and it does require Maintenance. Win98 is a much less stable system than 2000 and up.
    If you would like to try doing some of this yourself, here are steps and how I keep my 98SE running smoothly:

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it pressed down (or release and press, release and press) until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:\>
    Type in SCANDISK , all small letters, and it will look like:
    C:\>SCANDISK , then press Enter. Takes about 5 min. maybe.
    When finished:
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:\>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:\windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C\:> prompt.
    Continue with the above.
    When it returns to the C:\> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Win98/98SE Regular Maintenance
    All of these should be run whenever Win98/98SE starts giving problems. It will keep the computer running smoothly.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Virtual Memory; Notes:
    Windows 98/98SE does NOT defrag the swap file; win386.swp; or Virtual Memory. Go to Start>Control Panel>System>Performance tab>Virtual Memory button. Then, click on "Disable Virtual Memory"; a pop-up will say "don't do this", but do it anyway. Click on OK, then Apply, then OK to reboot. This makes the configurations take place. Don't forget, after running Defrag, to come back and re-set it to whatever you used for Virtual Memory. I use twice the RAM number, for both the Min. and Max numbers.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down (or press and release, press and release,) F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk. Yes, run Scandisk again.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

Re-set your Virtual Memory, re-boot, then turn on screensavers, wallpaper.

I hope the above helps. 98 sometimes needs defragging, about every month, depending on how many programs you run on your computer.
    Also, reinstalling 98 is normal, about once a year, when you start getting the "blue screen of death", showing errors, in VxD's.
    I do wish you the best.

PS; Before I could give you this answer, others had already posted answers. If you don't want to continue with doing Maintenance on 98, and have to pay someone else to do it, then I agree with their suggestions. Get a good used (or new) computer with XP.

Mar 2, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    That machine has served you well for 7 years. It's time to let it rest.
    I wouldn't spend another cent on this machine, I would buy a new computer.

Having said that though, did it just get slow recently? If Win98 has been running for a long time, it might just be time to start fresh and reformat/reinstall the system. A different AntiVirus package may give you some performance improvements.
    Your answer made me laugh out loud. Thanks. A merry heart does good like a medicine. The McAffee thing just started, but it has had numerous other problems to make it run slow and shut down in the past. I think I'll just put this thing in the back room to play games on and go out and buy myself a brand new computer. Where do you suggest shopping?

Mar 2, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Oh my, there's your two problems.
    1. McAfee
    and
    2. Compaq.

I hate both.

I would not put another penny into that old computer. You can have a new one with WinXP on it for $400-$500 that will probably be far better than what you have.

Here are some examples: http://www.powerspec.com/ (Those are sold by Microcenter)
    but I'll guess that most major retailers carry the bargain stuff.

Just my 1.5 cents worth...;)
    I had Norton antivirus before which my computer had problems with also. McAffee works well, it just slows the machine down. I must say though, I'll never buy a Compaq again.

Mar 2, 2006, 09:03 AM
    I will be trying your remedy before I move the computer to the back room for games and homework only. Thanks bunches.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 2, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Where to shop? Oh boy... this will open a can of worms... ;)

I personally like shopping with Dell. :) Their hardware is always solid, good quality stuff, and they have always been good to me.

Even though they've merged with Compaq :(, I've also seen some good systems from HP, and you can find their systems in most places - Future Shop/Best Buy, Staples, Costco...

I would definitely say you should shop around. Prices vary a lot from place to place and time to time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2006, 10:53 AM
    First, I currently have a Compaq with an Athlon 64 CPU. I've had it for about 18 months and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. I was very down on Compaqs before the HP merger because of proprietary hardware. But since the merger, that act has been cleaned up and I have no problems with recommending Compaqs.

As Fred correctly noted, Win 98 needs more maintenance. I do suggest following his tips and also doing spyware scans. I also agree with the other suggestions that your PC has exceeded its reasonable life expectancy. Most companies figure a 3 year life span on PCs. For home users, 3-5 years is reasonable. Anything over that and its not worth investing any more money into.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 5, 2006, 03:22 AM
    Sounds like the exact system I'm fixing right now,, it's a athlon 750 with a massive 64 megs of pc100... lol... I reformated it and put in a decent spyware dtector antivirus and firewall and she runs like a top... even with only 64 megs of memory... I recommend also that it is time to let the little guy go.. he has had a good life indeed even if he is a compaq... you can get barebones systems that put that to shame for around $100 online... don't waste your time fixing it again... 2 visits from the geek squad and you could have had a very decent system for what you use it for... SAY UR GOODBYES AND CHECKOUT THIS LINK FOR BAREBONE SYSTEMS with or without windows installed
    www.pricewatch.com
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Try using AVG instead of McAffee It is free and does a good job without slowing your PC down much
    nav Posts: 50, Reputation: 3

Mar 5, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Definitely best to buy a new computer and get avg free as anti-virus program(its the Best) and zone alarm for firewall (both Free). They don't slow you machine down and are very effective.

Mar 7, 2006, 08:43 AM
    How hard would it be to build my own computer seeing as how I don't know very much about computers? Would it be any cheaper than just going out and buying something already put together? It just sounds like an exciting challenge. I like challenges. On the more practical side, I have begun the shopping process. Haven't made a decision.

Mar 7, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Building your own is not that difficult but not a task for a novice. Also you will NOT save money by doing so. PC mfgs buy parts in bulk (cases, drives, video cards etc.) so they get an economy of scale you won't get. In addition they know what works together and what doesn't.

Take a look at CompUSA, Best Buy and Circuit City. They have bundle offers every week that can be inexpensive.

I would definitely recommend at least an Athlon 64 processor. If you want more power go for the Athlon 64 X2.

If you really want to do Intel, nothing lower than the 800 series.

HP has a number of good models, you can also go to their website and configure a machine to your needs. Dell has taken it on the chin in customer service lately. A recent BBB survey I saw showed Dell having more than 5x the complaints that HP had. And HP recently won a JD Powers award for service.
    nav Posts: 50, Reputation: 3

Mar 7, 2006, 03:06 PM
    Building a new computer is going to cost you a bomb. I wanted my friends bro to build it for me but he told me that even his was very expensive and that I should buy it from the shop. Its best to look for a PC from a shop, get all info you need from a computer shop and then buy the same thing from the net as its cheaper than shops. Personally I wouldn't buy a PC for less than £1,200. And if it gets damaged you can get it fixed with the guarantee, which you can't if you build your own. Mine cost £1,500 around eight months ago but in five years it will be scrap as I don't think it will be good so I will buy me a new one. Invest in a new PC now and you know it will be good for the next 5-6 years.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 7, 2006, 03:09 PM
    Nav, that's not really true.
    If you are talking entry level machines then yes it is cheaper to have a shop bought one.
    For example an entry level Dell will cost less than £300 with screen included, but once you start looking at a higher spec it is cheaper to build your own.
    If you are interested in doing this then your best source of parts are computer fairs, where you can get amazing deals on everything.Your largest expense is the CPU and correct Modo, after that the rest is relatively cheap.

Mar 7, 2006, 05:02 PM
    I have to put it between what Ben said and what Nav and I said. Its true that as you get into higher end PCs the cost advantages of DIY become more viable. As I said, PC manufacturers get economies of scale that someone doing DIY can't get. However, when you get into higher end components, they are less likely to be bought in bulk so those economies lessen to point of disappearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search