Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timm747 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Finishing a rough-in'd bathroom

Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been reading a ton and have a question. I'm finishing my basement and installing a bathroom. The rough in already exists, but it looks like the way this pipe (vent?) is sticking out of the ground, I won't have room for the toilet. I planned on putting the back of the toilet to the pipe (which I wanted to build inside a wall to hide it), but it doesn't look like I'd have room to put the wall up to hide the pipe in a wall. So I'm at a loss with how to put the toilet in. The toilet I bought has a 12" rough in. If I put the toilet in with the bowl to the right of that pipe, there won't be room to sit on it with a wall there. This was hard to explain, so hopefully I did it well enough for someone to give me an idea. I was trying to think of another way to enclose the pipe in a wall to hide it, while being able to fit the toilet there.

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 27, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Could you post a better picture? We can't tell much with this one. Also on your drawing you show the water but not the drainage or vents. Can you give us a better picture and more details? Thanks, Tom

May 27, 2008, 06:54 AM

Hope that helps. If you need another picture of the actual basement, I'm not exactly sure what you would need (and I'm at work now).

Thanks!

Tim

May 27, 2008, 07:06 AM
    The above is how I would like to put the toilet in. But I don't think the toilet will fit if I put a wall up to the right of the vent pipe to hide it.

May 28, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Anyone?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 28, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timm747
    Anyone?
    Hey Tim, I asked for the drainage layout not the drains themselves. All you have given me is a larger drawing with a few explanations. What I need is a idea of what's under the slab in the way of drainage. I need measeures. How about anpther picture of what you already have in the basement? Do you have a large shower dap-out or a smaller tub dap-out? Does the toilets new position set directly behind the vent pipe and over the main branch?
    How far away from the vent will the lavatory be? Sorry I didn't get right back, I had cataract surgery the other dayand I'm just getting back into the swing of things. Regards, Tom
    royals91 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

May 28, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Is the flange already in the ground? That lay out would not make sense. Did you rough this in yourself?

May 28, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Tom, hope your surgery went well.

I don't know what's under the slab, the builder installed the rough in when the house was built 5 years ago. So I don't have any way to get a drainage layout. Sorry for not posting the correct picture for you. Isn't the dap out the square box full of gravel with the 2" pipe coming up level with the cement (in the first picture)?

"Does the toilets new position set directly behind the vent pipe and over the main branch?
    How far away from the vent will the lavatory be?"

Yes, the toilet position is directly behind (or in front of) the vent pipe that goes to the ceiling and up and out of the house. Currently the vent tube is 13" from the middle of the toilet drain. That's my problem, I don't think I'll have enough room to build a wall between the toilet and the vent pipe to hide the pipe in a wall. Maybe if I stud with 2x3's??

Here is a picture looking over to that area (I've since torn down the wall over there near the rough in to make more room in the bathroom. What I planned on doing is building the door to come out to the right of the toilet if the toilet tank was going to be sitting against the wall where the vent pipe will be.

I put the flange in myself and drilled holes into the concrete to secure it (although the ground over there wasn't poured 100% level, I think it will be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom Rough-In [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a new home which has a bathroom roughed in the concrete floor of the basement. The dimension for the toilet is 15 inches, which means I can use a 2x4 wall. However the drain pipe for the bath tub from the same wall is 59 inches. I think this is a problem for a 2x4 wall because...

Basement bathroom finishing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a couple questions I hoping someone can help me with. I'm finishing a bathroom in my basement and had it rough during construction (planned ahead) so its not so much work, but I am wondering about venting the drains- it has only one vent hooked now at the drain where the sink will...

Finishing basement bathroom [ 17 Answers ]

When we built our house three years ago, we had the basement roughed in for a bathroom. I had talked to the plumber at that time about what would need to be done in the future, but alas have forgotten completely... :) Attached is a picture of the rough in prior to pouring the basement floor. ...

Bathroom rough in [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for he opportunity to get help from experts through this forum. I have a two year old house with a basement rough in that consists of a 4 inch pipe about 16 inched from the wall. There is also a smaller pipe about 4 feet away that is supposed to be used for the sink. Running up the...

Bathroom Rough in [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of putting a half bath in the basement. There is a white PVC pipe that is capped flush with the floor. I am hoping this is the rough in for a toilet. Is there anything else this might be. The cap is a screw in type and has sewer cleanout printed on it by the manufacturer. As of...

View more questions Search