Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpatmon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Cavalier ETS & check engine light
    I have a 1999 chevy cavalier and the check engine light came on along with the ETS light. I scanned the vehicle with a ODB II tool and it read a cam shaft position sensor - low voltage input code. I replaced the cam position sensor but the vehicle continues to throw the same codes. I read the electrical schematic but it only shows a direct line from the sensor to the main control module. I guess I could have received a bad replacement sensor but I tend to think there is another hidden problem. Also, sometimes the check engine goes out by itself but it reappears sometimes with the ETS light and sometimes without it. Can anyone assist in the diagnosis?
    zz1958 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Have you checked the brakes? Are they making noise? The check engine light always comes on with ets light. Also did you reset computer by disconecting the battery after replacing sensor?

May 27, 2008, 05:38 AM
    I replaced the springs on my rear breaks last month and the left rear break is making noise at low speeds. I didn't disconnect the battery but did erase the codes with the ODB reader. Do I need to re-set the computer?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Disconnecting the battery will not reset the computer; it needs to be reset with the diagnostic tool. If you do not reset the light, it will continue to stay on.

Did you have an actual technician scan the vehicle or did you go to AutoZone? My experience is that they do free scans for a reason; I've had numerous people go there for the scan and they were pointed in completely the wrong direction. I've even had people give me a bogus code that Auto Zone gave them.

I would also contact GM and have them run your VIN to check if there are any recalls for your vehicle that have not been performed yet. I know they do have a recall on the Cavaliers which pertains to the PCM, which may or may not be what the problem is.

May 27, 2008, 08:14 AM
    I had Auto Zone read the code and another mechanic and they both came up with the same code. So I think its legit. Any more ideas on what this could be?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
    It could be a problem with the PCM; I'd definitely go to GM and have them check for any recalls. They can't charge you for repair work that's done as a recall, so I'd start there. Free is never bad :)
    Artiec1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Well try this, my cavalier had the ETS come on and the check engine light. Turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. Ran scan and came up with misfire # 3 cylinder. Know it's the wires as plugs just changed. Changed wire and cleared code and car runs perfect.

Smehow the misfire was tripping the ETS code. Possibly sharing the same circuit or something. Problem solved!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check Engine Light and Oil Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1995 [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The car started over heating so I checked the radiator coolant and that was fine. I also checked the oil and that was full. A few days later the oil light started coming on and now the check engine light is on. ...

97 Chevy Cavalier Engine light won't go off. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. Everyone I have a 97 Chevy Cavalier with a engine light on that won't go off, I recently got an oil change but I did not change out the oil filter the coolant is fine and the car is not over heating. I checked to see if the car needed more oil but that is also fine. What else should I do or...

Check engine light [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a 91 honda civic si that I have replaced the o2 sensor on and the check engine light still won't go off. Can any one help?

Where do you find the plug in to check the check engine light [ 16 Answers ]

I am trying to find the plug in where you plug in the computer to check the check engine light it a 1992 civic can anyone tell me where it located at and if you have picture that would be great thanks if you could tell me the color of the plug in and how many pin in it that would help me in finding...

1998 cavalier engine light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1998 chevy cavalier with 120,000 miles on it. I need to have the stabililzer link fixed, however it's been over a month and I have not had it done yet. This morning, my check engine light came on and stayed on. This has not happened in about a year or so and it turned out to be...

View more questions Search