Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rexer08 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 01:18 AM
    '89 Honda CRX ignition?
    Hi, I have an '89 honda crx, and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. The car ran great, and one night just quit when I came to a stop. The thing confusing me is that it will start and idle fine if I put my hand over the throttle body as to choke it, but if I don't it will just crank and crank. After I get it started it will idle, but if I hit the throttle sharply it will bog down and die. If I open the throttle slowly, it seems to start to miss around 2,500 rpm. The fuel pressure is good(just put a new pump in recently). Also there is no check engine light. I replaced the TPS, but made no difference. Any help would be appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 27, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Begin by ensuring the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor are in great shape. After that, test/replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. The problem likely resides with the ICM and/or coil.

May 28, 2008, 11:50 PM
    Thanks, I found a whole brand new distributor for about the same price as the local parts store sells the ignition module, so I guess I'll order that.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 05:40 AM
    There have been many problems on this site with non-Honda aftermarket distributors, including those off eBay and major auto parts stores.

Jun 27, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Ok, so I have replaced the ICM. It also has a working computer and map sensor (tested). For some reason I still can't get it to run right. No CEL, just won't start most of the time, and if it does, it won't accelerate without bogging or backfiring. Checked the main relay, doesn't appear to be a problem there.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Did you test/replace the coil?

Jun 27, 2008, 06:56 PM
    The coil and cap were the first things I replaced when the car stopped running.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Check the timing. Try rotating the distributor counterclockwise to advance the timing. I bet the people who installed the new distributor didn't know how to properly set the timing. Loosen the 3 mounting bolts and rotate it slightly counterclockwise and see if everything improves markedly. If it does, you solved the problem and then you can place a strobe light on it to set it spot on.

Jun 27, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Thanks, I'll check it out right now.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Here's how to set the timing more precisely:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219963

I can closely set a Honda's timing by ear.

Jun 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Did advancing the timing help?

Jun 30, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Yes it did. The strange thing is that now it won't idle right, so I'm suspecting my IAC. For now I just have the IAC disconnected and the throttle body open manually to idle. I plan on taking it off and either cleaning it or replacing it(hopefully just cleaning).
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Cleaning the IACV and the throttle body should do the trick. Remember, you don't want to have the timing advanced so much that the engine just races and doesn't idle properly. Follow the FAQ Sticky on how to set the idle speed and timing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 honda accord ignition troubleshoot! [ 5 Answers ]

My car won't start and is not the batteryor the starter, what could it be?

1989 honda crx ignition switch [ 3 Answers ]

Can I change the ignition switch on my crx myself and how do I do it?

91 Honda CRX Ignition [ 2 Answers ]

The key was getting stuck in the ignition so we replaced the key cylinder. It did not help. We have noticed this only happens in the morning when it is cold outside. What could we do to prevent this?

91 Honda CRX Ignition-key gets stuck [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 1991 Honda CRX-the key keeps gettting stuck in the ignition. The dealership wants $300 just for a new ignition switch. What could be causing this? Easiest fix? Thanks

90 honda ignition problem [ 4 Answers ]

90 honda accord starts but when key released to run position car immediately dies. Any ideas on this one? Thanks JD

View more questions Search