Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmicaowp Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Tax exemption for H1B visa
    Hi,
    I am a china citizen. But I got the US H1B visa stamp from non-tax treaty country-singapore because I work there. Am I under tax exemption because of china citizenship? Or not because my visa stamp is from singapore?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Your tax exemption is based on your citizenship status, not from where you traveled.

Mar 2, 2006, 07:32 PM
    Thanks, Atlanta Tax Expert.
    I ask this question because my friend (china passport) got his H1B visa from singapore and joined university as postdoc in US. But unfortunately he was taxed although he is indeed china citizen. And I asked the university in Atlanta I am going to join the same question, they said:The tax treaty is based on the country of residence prior to your entry into the US....."Singapore". So may I know that do you have any publications that I can refer to regarding this issue? Or your answer is based on which publications?
    Greatly appreciate your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 09:06 PM
    Try IRS Pub 901.

Mar 4, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Hi, Atlanta Tax Expert:
    Hope you won't be tired to continue my topic. Publication 901 page 15 says: "researchers who are residents of China is generally exempt from US tax for ....". And technical explanation of US-China tax treaty page 4 article 4 says: "the definition of residence begins with a person's liability to tax under domestic law and citizenship is not one of the criteria." Sorry, I am not going to challenge your expertise. I just want to be clear whether I need to pay tax or not and I definitely hope not. Many thanks.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2006, 10:34 AM
    The citation about citizenship means "U.S. citizenship", not Chinese. It is the basis that allows the U.S. to tax residents of the U.S, not just its citizens.

I still believe that his Chinese citizenship should take precedence over the fact he got the visa from Singapore. However, that is a technical question which may be better presented to someone with a lot more experience in this field than me. For this reason, I suggest you post your question on the forum at www.thetaxguy.com.

The forum moderator, Dr. Gary Carter, is a CPA who possesses a doctorate in taxation who specializes in taxes for international student and foreign guests to the U.S. He has been most helpful in the past, and is probably the best person to ask about your situation.

Mar 4, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Thanks.

I did that and thetaxguy said:Tax treaties are based on where you were residing immediately before coming to the US. If you were living/working in Singapore, the China treaty does not apply..

This is just for your reference. I guess I have to pay tax.

Lastly, sincerely thanks for all your prompt replies.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2006, 11:03 PM
    A day does not go by when I don't learn something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA Tax Exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for retired persons collecting social security benefits to be exempt from FICA Tax w/h on earnings? If so, what conditions must be met, if any?

Dependent exemption for H1-b's [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to this site but just going through the threads, I think it's a great forum! Well here's my question (or questions rather!! ) I was on an F-1 student on OPT and worked full time from March 2005 onwards. I changed to H1B status on Oct 1, 2005. Should I file 1040 or 1040NR? ...

Tax exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your reply. It was much helpful. However, when I was reading the income tax treaty between India and US on the IRS website - Article number 22, (please see the link below, page 49 for payments to research scholars) http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/inditech.pdf It...

FICA Tax Exemption Calculation [ 3 Answers ]

I have changed from OPT (F1) to H1B on 4th oct 2004. Do I have to pay FICA tax for October? To be precise, is the calculation of FICA exemption based on the type of visa in the beginning of the month or at the end of the month? Thanks

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

View more questions Search