Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syrizz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident?
    Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may affect this. First, I have not applied for my citizenship yet. I lost my green card and therefore did not know my alien number and I learned that is needed for citizenship. I have gone as far as finding my alien number, applied for a new one, and I have gone to the office in Charlotte N.C to get my photo and fingerprints taken after they received my application. As of right now I am still waiting for the new green card. Then I will start my citizenship application. I also may have a problem with that. I was convicted of a felony back in 1993. I was only 16 at the time and I am now 31. After two years of court and many thousands of dollars, I was abel to keep my status and not get deported. I may need to hire a lawyer in applying for citizenship. My wife is here legally on student visa. Her visa expires in August. She really doesn't want to pay for anymore schooling. It's costing her over 12k for two semesters. She wants to use the money to hire a lawyer instead of paying for more schooling. She can't go to school forever. So my question is, can my wife obtain legal status? Should we hire a lawyer? What steps should I take?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 26, 2008, 08:17 PM
    As a green card holder, if you file petition for adjustment of status now, it will take about 5-6 years for her visa number to become current, which means she has to maintain her legal status during these years.

What you should do is obtain citizenship first, then you file petition for her. It will take about 12-14 months to obtain green card.

Because of your past records, you would need an attorney to help with obtaining citizenship... and if your wife maintains her student visa until you become US citizen, by that time, she would not need an attorney to file a petition for her. BUT if her legal status is terminated before you become US citizen, then she will need an attorney because her application will be denied and she will be barred for 3-10 years depending on how long she overstayed.
    teespoon1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 09:39 AM
    If your not a citizen yourself, then there's no way you can make someone else a citizen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

Becoming a legal resident through marriage [ 8 Answers ]

This is how I became a legal resident. Hi, I am new to this site and I look forward to sharing my voice to bring clarity, comfort, closure, peace, joy and happiness to all that are trying to bridge the gap of solving their immigration challenge through marriage. However there is one area of...

What is Legal Temporary Resident [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Tax experts I started my OPT from Feb 20th 2006 and started working in the same university as a Research Fellow after completing my MS while on F1. Now the payroll says that I need to pay for my FICA as I am a LEgal Temporary Resident. What does that mean ? I have presently began my H1 from Feb...

Is it legal to kick my 18 year old student out? [ 1 Answers ]

I can no longer handle having my 18 year old kid in my house... is it legal to kick him out in the state of Georgia even though he is still in high school? He has done no drugs or anything illegal... he just refuses to obey. Thanks.

View more questions Search