Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afraidofhim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Divorced for 1 Year
    North Carolina resident, divorce was uncontested, he did not ever appear in court or respond to any atty notices, divorce was final 2/28/05 now he says he can have the divorce reversed and seize all property, he also threatens to sue me for mental anguish. His newest threat is to sue my boyfriend for "Alienation of Affection" Please note we lived in separate states, me in Nc him in TX from Nov. 2001 until after the divorce was final. What should I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Laugh at him comes to mind.

Ask him if he has missed his medication.

Give him your attorneys name and address and tell him not to waste your time serving you merely have your attorney served with the law suit.

He can not have the divorce overturned, if he can find some issue on service or some reason that the property separation was not done according to law, but if he was legally served and just did not show up, he is just wanting to bother you.

I doubt unless he just has the money, remember if he has money, he can always hire an attorney to file a law suit. So you all may have to hire an attorney to fight him in court, but I don't see any case at all.

Most likely if you merely laugh at him and tell him to sue if he wants to, or perhaps tell him that you will see if there is something you forgot to get from him and may go back for that if he wants to sue.

Best bet, don't talk to him, refuse his phone calls, refer any communication with him to your attorney.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Document everything. Every threat. Every call. Write it down. Time of day. What was said. Don't let him know about it yet. Tell him you wish all correspondence to go through your lawyer. Write it down when he doesn't follow your wishes.

As mentioned, the divorce should be a done deal, the property could be another under the circumstances mentioned above. Talk to a lawyer if you can and get things running through the lawyer. You'll either pay $$ for help or pay in mental anguish... might be better just to get the lawyer involved sooner than later.

My wife had to document threats from a old boyfriend before we married. It ended up being useful... unfortunately for him, the documentation helped get him fired when he used a work cell to make threats.

When he later continued threats after about a year after the firing, he was again notified he was being documented and that police would again be notified. He finally stopped.

So the only concern is property/children. As for mental anguish, he's a moron. And if he ever decided to try to use that in court well you have the record of this moron calling and threatening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he divorced? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister-in-law filed for divorce from my brother about 2 years ago. My brother never signed any papers or cooporated with her lawyer. Now he decides he wants to marry again. How and where would he go to find out if he is divorced, without having to contact his ex, so he can remarry?

Still not divorced [ 7 Answers ]

I have been seeing a man for over a year now. He has been separated from his wife for over a year and a half. They are going for a dissolutionment, but not has happened yet. How long should I wait for a commitment? I know he does not love her, but how can I speed things up?

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Divorced? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to see if my friend really is divorced without paying for detective fees? Are there data bases to view?:confused:

Divorced men only, please [ 1 Answers ]

Hi MEN only please. I've been involved with a wonderful person for 2 years now. We have a very similar background. We're both divorced, have a child each (boys) and never take each other for granted. We both work hard at communicating our differences. While he's pretty much almost perfect...

View more questions Search