Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darlenerowe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 12:16 PM
    My Baby Won't Eat
    My 4 month old puppy has stopped eating. She refuses everything and tries to cover it up. The vet can't find any reason for this except maybe it is a reaction
    To her puppy shot or Revolution. I have researched and tried everything I could fine. Her past food, new food, dry, canned, hamburger, eggs, you get the picture. She rejects everything. She won't even eat her treats. The only thing she accepts is the Puppy Vitamins. This has been going on for a week and I am
    Worried. Help Please! (she is a Lhapso Apso) She is active, running around and playing with her toys. The doctor said she had gained almost a pound but I am at a loss as to how. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 02:26 PM
    If she is drinking, sleeping, playing and acting normal I would not be too worried.

I would say she is covering it up to eat later. My guess is that you are trying to feed her too much. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Hovering over her and trying to force her to eat will cause issues. She can sense your worrying.

What I would do is take her daily intake divide it into 2 or 3 meals and offer it to her so many hours apart. If she wasn't eating her meals I would not be offering any treats.
    I will post the ASPCA guidelines on feeding. ASPCA: Dog Care
    For additional tips on pet care.
    ASPCA: Animal Poison Control Center: A Poison Safe Home
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 05:30 PM
    The other thing you might do is kill off the food bowl entirely. As my old trainer put it, she'd much rather see puppies getting their daily food as rewards for sitting, coming, giving up toys, etc. with anything not earned that way going into interactive food toys (kongs, etc.) That way the dog learns manners, gets a strong bond with the family members, and stays out of trouble because time alone is spent trying to work for food instead of being bored. I know that my dog's appetite picks up when she gets her food in Kongs. Right now she has half a bowl that she has ignored for the last two days, but she will immediately go to work on kongs that I give her.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

May 26, 2008, 11:28 PM
    How long will she go without eating?
    DBmtgprocessor Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2008, 09:18 AM
    DO you have another pet that she could be stealing food from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

I'm having a baby and my dog already thinks she's my baby! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm new to this board and I just wanted to ask a questions. I have two dogs. An 8 month old St. Bernard female named Moose and a 1 & 1/2 yeard old Samyoed male name Buckie. I just recently found out I was pregnant and have started to get really worried. Buckie is VERY attached to Moose but...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Lose of 1 baby boy & 2 baby girls [ 4 Answers ]

I have meet a lady on myspace and she has lost 3 kids a little boy and a set of twin girls the boy was about 2 years ago he only lived a couple of hours and the twins one lived 3 days and the other only an hour. What can I do to help her through this time? I just feel so sorry for her. Two years...

View more questions Search