Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clintcunha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Applying for portuguese passport
    Hi,
    I am trying to apply for a portuguese passport or citizen from South Africa. My grandfather was from portugal but has sadly passed away. He came to South Africa in about 1942. He only had South African documents at the time of his passing. He does own property in Portugal still though. How do we go about recognising this and applying ourselves.
    If you need any more information, please let me know.
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 26, 2008, 05:48 AM
    It doesn't make any difference if your grandfather was Portuguese. In order for you to obtain a Portuguese passport, one of your parents has to be Portuguese. If you are an American citizen with access to an US passport, why do you need a Portuguese passport. You obviously want to take advantage of the property in Portugal and you can live there for six months out the year and still retain your benefits as a US citizen by returning every six months. However, this may not the case. Please explain.
    clintcunha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 07:20 AM
    I am writing on behalf of my father. It is his father who was the portuguese citizen. I appologise, I think I did not state the facts clearly. We are south african, not US citizens.
    rosafernc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 01:50 PM
    Case A: If your Grandfather was portuguese then your father must apply for Portuguese citizenship by attrubution. Only after doing so can you apply for portuguese citizenship.

Case B: If your Grandfather was a Portuguese national but your dad died then tough luck you will have to naturalize stating the fact that you're a 2nd generation descendant of a Portuguese.

Case C: If your dad is a Portuguese national then you can directly apply for portuguee nationality by attribution.

As far as documents are concerned. If you ancestor was born in Portugal and you know the date and place of birth you can obtain the relevant birth certificate from the Potuguese civil registry. Use the birth certificate to obtain Portuguese natioanlity. I cannot explain the preocedure to you, you should sought someone else's help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Applying for Portuguese citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

My father holds a Portuguese citizenship and passport and is now living with me in Canada. His wish is to reside in Portugual and as his daughter, I need me to look after him as he his old (76 years). I am a Canadian citizen holding Canadian passport and wish to apply for my portuguese...

Applying for my Portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

Please could you let me know how I would go about getting my passport. My parents and brother come form Portugal and I would like to apply for my Portuguese passport.

South african applying for portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a south african. My grandparents are portuguese citizens but my mom was born in SA and she doesn't have a portuguese passport. Can I apply for portuguese passport? If so can I apply for it in London or does it have to be in South Africa? Thanks

Applying for Portuguese Passport living in SA [ 1 Answers ]

My parents were born in Madeira but we are currently residing in South Africa. I would like to apply for a Portuguese Passport. I need to know where do I apply for the passport and what documents are required and how long is the processing. If I do qualify can I also apply for my...

View more questions Search