Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sailor_sbr2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Windows XP or Vista
    I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer. Have they worked the bugs out of vista yet or should I stay with Windows XP?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 25, 2008, 11:04 PM
    Go with Vista. I have it at work after using XP Pro. I haven't had trouble yet after a month of use.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2008, 11:27 PM
    If you buy a new computer, it will have vista installed, depends what version of vista you would like, vista home premium is best for home users, but here is a link with the differences between the editions, besides options, there is a price difference
    Compare Editions
    Computech29 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2008, 11:51 PM
    Vista is Microsofts newest baby. It Promised to be a faster Operating System with new great security features and awesome graphics. Now, the graphics are awesome. However, the operating system remains compatible with only a few of my applications on my previous XP box. Don't get me wrong even XP had it's issues when it first surfaced, but nothing, and I mean nothing near the frustration Vista has caused me. Microsoft is currently working out the bugs since its been discovered that vista doesn't work with a variety of printers and cameras or even outlook (WHICH IS A MICROSOFT PRODUCT). A lot of companies are still slow to update their devices to Vista so that remains a area of frustration for a lot of users too. Not to mention the OS is VERY VERY bloated! It requires a ton of ram to effectively support all the beauty, which I believe is one of Microsofts key selling points. Xp remains the most stable option if you want a worry free environment. Allow time for Microsoft to work out the issues, and wait for more companies to jump on board before making Vista your everyday Operating System right now. Vista is the OS of the future sadly to say, so enjoy XP while updates are still being released.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 26, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Have your cake and eat it too. Some vendors (Hewlett-Packard for example) are offering Vista computers with an XP downgrade preinstalled and a Vista DVD and Certificate of Authenticity included.

XP was slated to become unavailable the end of June, but the date I think may have changed. Clock's ticking in any case...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Computech29
    However, the operating system remains compatible with only a few of my applications on my previous XP box. Don't get me wrong even XP had it's issues when it first surfaced, but nothing, and I mean nothing near the frustration Vista has caused me. Microsoft is currently working out the bugs since its been discovered that vista doesn't work with a variety of printers and cameras or even outlook (WHICH IS A MICROSOFT PRODUCT). A lot of companies are still slow to update their devices to Vista so that remains a area of frustration for a lot of users too. Not to mention the OS is VERY VERY bloated! It requires a ton of ram to effectively support all the beauty, which I believe is one of Microsofts key selling points. Xp remains the most stable option if you want a worry free environment. Allow time for Microsoft to work out the issues, and wait for more companies to jump on board before making Vista your everyday Operating System right now. Vista is the OS of the future sadly to say, so enjoy XP while updates are still being released.
    What applications couldn't you run? I haven't had a problem with anything yet and I've been running a Vista machine for over a year. And what problems have you had with Outlook? I haven't had any. As far as drivers not being available, that's not Microsoft's fault. Many hardware manufacturers decided not to update drivers. Mostly for older hardware. I had to replace one piece of hardware in my switch. Everything else worked fine.

To the OP, you will not find a machine with XP avaailable in the retail channel. However, you can still order one with XP from online or mail order sources. I would NOT buy a VISTA equipped machine and downgrade to XP. Vista has gotten a lot of negative press and does any new OS. But I've been running a Vista machine for over a year with no major issues.

May 26, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What applications couldn't you run? I haven't had a problem with anything yet and I've been running a Vista machine for over a year. And what problems have you had with Outlook? I haven't had any. As far as drivers not being available, that's not Microsoft's fault. Many hardware manufacturers decided not to update drivers. Mostly for older hardware. I had to replace one piece of hardware in my switch. Everything else worked fine.

To the OP, you will not find a machine with XP avaailable in the retail channel. However, you can still order one with XP from online or mail order sources. I would NOT buy a VISTA equipped machine and downgrade to XP. Vista has gotten a lot of negative press and does any new OS. But I've been running a Vista machine for over a year with no major issues.
    Ok, I'm glad to see you haven't had any problems, however mine still remain. Don't buy a vista box until all the kinks are worked out. Vista has potential. Not as a 32bit OS but, a 64 bit OS which will allow us to slap to ton of ram inside the box. Until then just us linux. He's been running Vista for over a year with no MAJOR ISSUES. I've been running linux for 7 years with NO ISSUES.

Good Luck Mate.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 02:08 PM
    It depends on what user is expecting out of an OS, Computech29 - you expected it to be perfect and yet it did not meet your needs, so you trash it.

and I mean nothing near the frustration Vista has caused me
    It may not work for All but it does work for most with basic computer skills and knowledge.

The origianl question was,
    "I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer. Have they worked the bugs out of vista yet or should I stay with Windows XP?"

If you buy a new PC you will get Vista packaged as pre-installed operating system.

A lot of companies are still slow to update their devices to Vista
    There are a lot of compaines that are not going to update their drivers, they would like you to buy another one of their products that does support Vista.

May 26, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Again, I have to disagree with your advice here. Millions of Vista boxes have sold and are being run with no problems. I would suspect that you are putting demands on Vista that the average person wouldn't even think of.

And while I agree Linux is an alternative worthy of consideration, the fact is most people need to run software that will run under Windows. Which is why it is the dominant OS.
    steveyscripture Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor_sbr2
    I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer. Have they worked the bugs out of vista yet or should I stay with Windows XP?
    The answer is no! I have vista HP and it work fine but I cannot download SP1 without it freezing .I have spoken to mocrosoft and they advise me to don't download

Mad

Steve
    Scotland

Ps I am a PC tech-say with XP
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyscripture
    the answer is no! I have vista HP and it work fine but I cannot download SP1 without it freezing .I have spoken to mocrosoft and they advise me to dont download

mad

steve
    scotland

ps I am a pc tech-say with XP
    They may have anissue with windows update and getting the sp1, that in now way represents the use of vista, please be informative and not objective because of issues you may have had, to be honest, you can not speake for everyone. Some of the above posts have been made objectivly and not based on a persons ecperience.

If you need SP1, you do not need to use windows update, here is a link to download a stand alone install, perefectly legal and working

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows...vista-sp1.html

Jun 1, 2008, 08:13 PM
    It's all Matter of taste ultimately. I'm A+, Linux+ and CCNA certified, so what do I know? Microsoft has brain washed the nation into this point and click GUI era(WHICH THEY STOLE FROM XEROX). People love the Ooh, while the Aah is abruptly halted by the flaws of this rush production we call VISTA. Microsoft are crooks! At least linux in all of it's Open Source beauty is maintained by teams who access the code and bring us stable kernels OFTEN. Microsofts code is not available to us at all, which is why they will always have it's users by the balls.

Take it from a real tech and learn linux. There are many books like linux for dummies and a host of others.

Under the GNU FSF license agreement linux has to be free. So download you a copy and play around and learn it.

P.S - STAY AWAY FROM THE /PROC directory LOL.

Good Luck.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Your opinion is noted, I'm sure you helped out the original person who posted the question.

Jun 2, 2008, 06:14 AM
    It's all Matter of taste ultimately. I'm A+, Linux+ and CCNA certified, so what do I know? Microsoft has brain washed the nation into this point and click GUI era(WHICH THEY STOLE FROM XEROX). People love the Ooh, while the Aah is abruptly halted by the flaws of this rush production we call VISTA. Microsoft are crooks! At least linux in all of it's Open Source beauty is maintained by teams who access the code and bring us stable kernels OFTEN. Microsofts code is not available to us at all, which is why they will always have it's users by the balls.
    First I have to correct some misinformation here. Microsoft did NOT steal the GUI interface from XEROX. Apple stole it from Xerox and then Microsoft stole it from Apple. ;)

Vista was clearly not a "rush" production. Win Me was, but Vista wasn't. It was the most tested release of an operating system to date. Microsoft would have liked to have released it up to 2 years earlier but were more committed to stability.

As to Microsoft being crooks, that's ridiculous. Microsoft has always been known for sharp business tactics, that bordered on and sometime crossed the lines of ethics. But I would not call them outright crooks.

Your diatribe reminds me of a recent review I read for HP's Home Server. The reviewer also claimed to be an experienced, credentialed tech. And he was very critical of the product. But his criticism was all geared to comparing the product with a true LAN server. In doing so, he totally missed the boat about what this product was designed to do. And comparing Windows and Linux comes with similar problems.
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83
    Your opinion is noted, I'm sure you helped out the original person who posted the question.
    Side Note:I do not agree with Computech29
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 2, 2008, 09:06 AM
    I'm A+, Linux+ and CCNA certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottgem
    be an experienced, credentialed tech
    Nuff said really ;)
    Granted CCNA is a real cert, but, I'll let you draw your own conclusions on the others.

Suppose I'd better add my comments to this.

Granted Vista ISN'T the great OS we where promised as some of the more interesting additions where binned, like futureFS and the whole Db filing system. Now THAT I was waiting for.

Personally I don't really care much for Vista as it's appears to simply be a flashy UI built on tried and tested lines.
    That being said I'm currently testing Server 2008 and I am massively impressed, so much so I will be rebuilding my domains to it as soon as I can.
    If they continue with the 2008 ideas into Windows 7 then we are expecting an outstanding product that will be secure by default.
    Admittedly it is about time M$ took this approach, after all why have something installed that you will NEVER use. IIS for example.
    How many general home users have any need for a web server running on their machine.

So roll on Windows 7 and I'll refresh with that.

As previously mentioned you are unlikely to find XP preinstalled on retail boxes, but you can buy an XP disc and down grade yourself and be completely legal doing so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email sending prob. In windows vista using windows mail [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem in sending emails in windows mail in vista. Up to yesterday, it was working fine. I have deleted and created the account again. Email address,pwd, pop n smtp etc everything is correct but email are not going. There is genuine windows vista with Mecafee. No problem with incoming...

Windows Vista [ 7 Answers ]

.: VISTA SUCKS

Can a windows xp virus effect windows vista? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My pendrive was infected by a virus called "jambanmu" which is either a malaysian or Indonesian virus. If I put my pendrive into a windows xp computer the virus will stop the computer from using few stuff. As for my pendrive the virus doesn't allow me to reformat it. If I use a windows vista...

Windows vista [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've just bought a new laptop and it came with this 'upgrade your windows vista experience' cd which on the side says that I have to purchase a separate upgrade license, is this true because I thought it would have come with windows vista

View more questions Search