Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdreamer85 Posts: 44, Reputation: 5

May 25, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Bought as-is?
    We just bought our first home, and our paper work clearly states AS-IS. Last week and man came to re-po our water softener(because the previous owners hadn't made a payment in the past 18 months, he didn't take it because I had two small children here-at least that's what he said.. BUT when we bought this as-is does that mean that that's our water softener now? Or do we have to now buy the water softener? :mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Well that depends. When a house is sold as-is, it generally refers to the condition of the house, not necessarily how its equipped. If they bought an appliance on credit and default on the purchase, then the seller is probably within their rights to repo it. Basically you can't sell something you don't own.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
    What was stated about the water softner on the advertisement, and on the contract you signed on the purchase agreement.

As/is, has little to do with it, that only means you can't sue the owner if the roof falls in tomorrow because of prior damage.

But since you bought it, in good faith and now own the property, they may have issues repo it, since they have no legal right to enter your property, and you have no paper work to force you to allow you to take it.

So my first action is to tell them they have to take this up with the person they have a contract with. And/or if it is a 4000 system, I may offer them 500 or 1000 for it, if you want to keep it.
    But they will have to prove they have some judgement against the previous person, to show he did not pay for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age of appliances (bought used) [ 7 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying used appliances.. but would like to know the exact year I have the model and serial # of the items.. Kenmore Super capacity PLUS WASHER Mod. 110-268-92690 Ser: cf 4946239 80 Series

Bought a car, getting sued [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a debt for 15k w/ Unicredit it used to be Citi which I work for. Citi sold it 3 years ago almost to the date. I bought a new car in Sept. because my old one had 207,000 miles on it. I needed a reliable car cause I work 50 miles away. So yes, new. I owe on a loan for that car 19k and gave...

Bought the car need advice ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I bought my 93 civic 100k mile The dealer did not offer free 3 month warranty I want to have more knowledge for maintaince, Any one could giveme advice? Thankd

View more questions Search