Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stmcan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Basement Shower Install
    I have a basement with a rough-in for a 1/2 bath but would like to add a shower. If I use a preform shower can I elevate it so as to put in a trap? Do I even need a trap? If I do need a trap how much space is needed from drain to trap and trap to main line? Also can I utilize the drain pipe for the sink or do I need to tap directly into the sewer line? Last but not least what is the rise over run I need for the pipes? I live in Maryland.

Steve
    [email protected]
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Mar 1, 2006, 03:35 PM
    I'll answer as much as I can; the rest will no doubt be answered by Tom (a.k.a. speedball1) when he gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by stmcan
    If I use a preform shower can I elevate it so as to put in a trap? Do I even need a trap?
    Of course you need a trap - all fixtures do. And unless you want to start cutting the concrete, platforming the shower (i.e. elevating it) may be your best option.

Last but not least what is the rise over run I need for the pipes?
    Horizontal pipes should slope ¼" per foot.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 1, 2006, 03:40 PM
    I have a basement with a rough-in for a 1/2 bath but would like to add a shower. If I use a preform shower can I elevate it so as to put in a trap? Do I even need a trap? If I do need a trap how much space is needed from drain to trap and trap to main line? Also can I utilize the drain pipe for the sink or do I need to tap directly into the sewer line? Last but not least what is the rise over run I need for the pipes? I live in Maryland.

Steve
    [email protected]
    Steve are you the same Steve that's asking about installing a shower over the floor drain a few threads up from this one? If so I wish to merge the two threads into one where I can address your concerns.
    To answer your questions. You not only need to trap your shower you'll also need to vent it, unless you're prepared to break cement and wet vent it back to the lavatory drain. The slope is 1/4" to the foot. Regards, Tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Mar 1, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Steve are you the same Steve that's asking about installing a shower over the floor drain a few threads up from this one? If so I wish to merge the two threads into one where I can address your concerns.
    No Tom, it doesn't appear to be the same Steve: that one's nickname is "stevem", while this one is "stmcan".

Having said that, the last part of your answer "If you can find a manufactured shower base that the drain will set direct over the floor drain the floor drain possibilty could be adapted to connect." is not relevant; this Steve needs to know how to install a shower without the benefit of a floor drain.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 1, 2006, 04:22 PM
    Moshie, Thanks for catching that. I caught the difference but what are the changes of two askers asking the same question with the same first name? Any how I deleted the advice about the floor drain but left the question. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Shower Install [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm installing a bathroom in my basement. It was originally roughed in for a toilet and sink, of course, we want a shower as well. The shower will go close to where an existing floor drain was, so I dug up the floor and took out the old floor drain trap, y'd the line and put in a new...

Basement Tub Install [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am just getting ready to frame the basement for a bathroom and have a few questions. We just recently had our house built and had 2 rough in's put into the basement that empty into a pit that has a grinder pump attached to it. Nothing is currently using the grinder pump, the first...

New shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

Trying to install bathroom in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am a rookie or novice person. I am good with instructions. I have an unfinished basement. In the basement, I have a full bath rough-in. I am looking for a good book to use as a guide on how to finish my bathroom. I am thinking of adding a full bath in the basement. I need guidance in what...

View more questions Search