Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattybsn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Water heater pilot lights, but not burner
    I just purchased a house that was vacant for a year and had been Winterized. I lit the gas water heater pilot but the burner would not light. Now what?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 25, 2008, 06:01 AM
    After lighting the pilot... did you turn the pilot knob to ON (on top of control)..

Then, did you rotate the thermostat dial on gas valve UP to temperature (on front of gas valve)..

See the pic. Below... may help you to understand better...

Also, note that on front of heater is detailed info. About all this...

If you did all this and failed...let us know... ;)

MARK
    Attached Images

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2008, 06:03 AM
    First of course silly question, after you got the pilot light going, you moved the valve from piolot light to the "on" position.

Have you checked the electric current to the heater, have you checked the current to the themostats

These are just the first things I would check
    fjaved Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

May 25, 2008, 12:19 PM
    If you let me know name and model of water heater I might be able to help you cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Gas Water Heater burner/pilot light . [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there, It has been a wild week. I had to travel 2 hours to a hospital because they thought my grandfather had an anyerism. Luckily he is still in the hospital but OK. But when I got home I had no hot water. Check and pilot light was out. Relit pilot OK. Turned thermostat knob up, burner...

Water heater pilot light gets extinguished by main burner ignition. [ 1 Answers ]

Problem: Water heater pilot light gets blown out by main burner when it ignites. Background: About eight or nine days ago I installed a new Rheem LP gas fired water heater. I had to convert (change / install) the main burner jet and pilot light orifice to burn LP gas as well as change the...

Water Heater Pilot [ 2 Answers ]

My water heater is about 2 years old and the pilot lights keep turning off :mad:

Hot water tank pilot lights but. [ 1 Answers ]

My hot water tank pilot is lit but the burner does not ignite. What should I do? Or what could be wrong? Help me if you can .Thank You!

View more questions Search