Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muki-b Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Perfect night picture with nikon D40
    Hi,

I am trying to take the perfect night pictures of buildings with sky...
    This is not working good because the pictures is coming always a bit yellow out.

I dono which are the perfect settings that I should use to take the perfect night pictures.

Also one other is to take night picture of moving cars... but steady buildings. The cars should only be lines of light but the buildings should be perfect sharp.

If somebody could help me with this then I would be happy.

Thanks
    Bart
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

May 26, 2008, 01:11 AM
    Mount the camera on a tripod

Deactivate the flash

Set camera F stop manually and allow camera to automatically select exposure time. It might take a significant portion of a minute for the exposure. You can also check to see what the camera thinks the exposure time should be and take a few shots with slightly shorter and longer exposure times set manually.

Use a remote shutter release OR the camera's delay timer (the one you use if you want to be included in the picture) so that the camera isn't subject to vibration when you press the shutter button.

The tint problem may respond to changing the camera's white balance. The same change normally needs to be made when alternating between outdoor daylight and indoors under fluorescent lighting.

Try multiple pictures with different settings.
    dcooper Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2008, 03:09 PM
    For night shots try using f16 or f22 and lock the shutter open for 1 to 5 minutes. This will give long red streaks for car taillights & white streaks for the headlights. Of course you will need a camera that can lock the shutter open (bulb setting on some) and a strong heavy tripod. The tripod will be VERY important since ANY vibration will ruin the photo. I've done lots of night photography including when city street wet after rain for neat reflections, 2-4 sec. time exposure while zooming in or out on a neon sign, painting with light (lock shutter open & walk around & fire hand held electronic flash on sides of a large barn or in a cave, etc.) There's lots of creative things you can do with night photography including a single shot of same person twice in the photo each with different clothing looking at themselfves(for a "clone" look!). Hope this helps.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Aug 4, 2008, 10:57 AM
    On a side note.. I have noticed with 5-10 second exposures, a slight blur. It seems to be the vibration of the mirror popping up. I don't know if the nikon can do this, but my cannon 40d has live view which opens the mirror and shows you the view on the lcd. This way when you take the pic, the mirror is already open.

I would say though with a looong exposure and a f22, this won't be as much of an issue.

Post the pic when you are done!

Here's one I took at the beach.. moon shot. I don't have the canon file reader here so I can't tell you the settings... I know it was 15 second exposure.
    Attached Images

muki-b Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 11:59 PM
    Thanks all,
    I will try to all these things and let you know about the result...

Also yesterday night I went out to try to capture a lightning... seems impossible
    Or you just have to be lucky ?
    Probably... but how can you get this picture on .

Sorry for all the questions :)
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Aug 6, 2008, 11:12 AM
    At night.. again, you can do a long exposure. But yeah, you have to have some luck.

I have 2 shots that I got lucky with and captured a bolt during the day over the ocean. Pure luck lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NIght Time Picture with Nikon D40 Digital [ 2 Answers ]

We have been trying to take pictures of our Marching Band at Competitions and have had no luck because of dark pictures. Even when Changing Lense strength. Is it A flash problem or a setting Problem . Thank You

Picture perfect [ 2 Answers ]

In the movie the picture perfect jennifer aniston heads to boston to try and win back nick played by jay mohr in this scene they are at a wedding and he asks her if she likes the bunny hop. They start to hug and there is a song playing in the background (instrumental)does anyone know the name of...

Song from movie Picture Perfect [ 4 Answers ]

It has the line cause when I get that feeling.. This is driving me nuts. Just so you know it isn't the song by cascada.

Nikon d200 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I am now in the point in wich I have to get a more professional Camera. I'm thinking of the nikon d 200. Does anyone know just how professional It is?

View more questions Search