Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

May 24, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Where to start.
    I'm 24, 5'2 140lbs. I need to get in shape, but I don't know where to start, I can only run a for about 20 secs. Until my lungs burn. I quit smoking a year ago this month, I eat well and have lost ten pounds since last year solely on eating better and limiting gluten. I want to use the most effective method and I don't want to go to a gym for two reasons, one, I have gym anxiety and two, I have a gym at my door step seeing as I live in northwest BC, I have a bike and a dog. I walk him everyday for about an hour and ride my bike to and from work every day but it doesn't seem enough. My cardio has improved but I feel like I've hit a plateau. Any advise?
    jojoorellana Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Run with your dog, for more than 20 secs. Work your way up to 20 minutes. Go around the block at first. And when it burns run more! Stay hydrated and try this every day after work then you'll be set to do your thing for the remainder of your day still burning calories. Good luck! Oh, and you'll feel more energetic too.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 25, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    I'm 24, 5'2 140lbs. I need to get in shape, but I don't know where to start, I can only run a for about 20 secs. until my lungs burn. I quit smoking a year ago this month, I eat well and have lost ten pounds since last year solely on eating better and limiting gluten. I want to use the most effective method and I don't want to go to a gym for two reasons, one, I have gym anxiety and two, I have a gym at my door step seeing as I live in northwest BC, I have a bike and a dog. I walk him everyday for about an hour and ride my bike to and from work every day but it doesn't seem enough. My cardio has improved but I feel like I've hit a plateau. Any advise?

Good job on quitting smoking... best thing you could have done for yourself... and eating well is the second. Now you are working on the third with your exercise program.

Some people find, when they feel they have hit a plateau, that mixing things up a bit helps. To build your endurance with running, try walking for a bit to warm up, then run until you feel you just can't, walk again for a short bit, then run again, and so on. Gradually you will build your stamina and the running will become longer and the walking less so. Throw in some weight training several times a week as well. You might find a couple of exercise/dance/boxing/yoga, etc. videos you like that will let you have something different to do and work different muscle groups. If you have access to a pool, that's another good option as well. If you are going to do anything very strenuous, always good idea to have a checkup with your doctor too.

May 25, 2008, 08:58 AM
    IS is safe start running? I mean, I've never weight trained in my life, I feel like a noodle when I run, is this normal? And will it go away?
    Uber Member

May 25, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    IS is safe start running? I mean, I've never weight trained in my life, I feel like a noodle when I run, is this normal? and will it go away?

It's always recommended to get a physical from your doctor before doing any strenuous exercise program... most people probably don't, but it would be wise. The key is to start slowly and build up. Often times people start gung ho with good intentions, but because they injure themselves, find it too difficult, or find they can't get very far, they give up on it. It is important to realize there is no quick fix to getting in shape.
    Walk to warm up, do some gentle stretching, and start an easy jog... go until you feel you need to stop and then walk for awhile, start your easy jog again for a bit, walk, jog, walk, continue on that way. It will take time, so don't expect to be running very far in the beginning. Make sure you have decent running shoes to help absorb some of the shock to your joints... some people find fitness walking instead is easier and can be very effective for getting into shape. Running is not for everyone, and there are many ways to build cardio and stamina.

Start with 3 -5 lb weights... you want to feel you are putting in some effort, but not to the point where you just can't do it and will possibly injure yourself. There are many sites online, videos, television programs, etc. that will give you some ideas on how to get started. Here is just one possibility for some basics:

Weight Training for Beginners - Beginner's Weight Training - How to Start Weight Training for Beginners

May 25, 2008, 06:56 PM
    I live in a small town and the gym is pretty lame, really old equipment, really sketchy owners.. (charge over $60/m for 1970s equipment, maybe 2 treadmills,) can you help me with an outdoor routine?
    Uber Member

May 26, 2008, 06:45 AM
    A gym membership is nice, and some people really like the atmosphere to keep them going, but it isn't necessary for getting into shape for the average person. It sounds like the gym in your town would be an "on your own" situation anyway. It can be nice to have someone there watching over you, working out with other people, joining in on classes they may offer, but it's not for everyone.
    You can do much on your own with cycling, running, walking, resistance bands, free weights, a stability ball if you wanted, a weight bench can be helpful, but isn't absolutely necessary. Something's make it easier, but then you have to add cost to the equation. You can always check out moving sales for some of the equipment if you wanted to.
    Keep it simple... Use your own body... run, jog, walk, cycle, swim, lean against a tree for push-ups, use a park bench to work your triceps, use dumbells when you do squats, lunges, to work your shoulders, etc.. There are numerous possibilities. You can buy resistance bands for about $10 and they come in varying tensions to work up to. These can work similar to free weights and you get the bonus of being able to use them in all directions and anywhere you are, even outdoors. I'd save your money and see how it goes. If you find you get really into it, (and it can take a few months to become habit) then you can think about putting out some bucks for pricey equipment if you feel you need/want to.

May 27, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Thanks for all the advice, I borrowed a few workout vids, 90 min yoga, 20 min. pilates and 10 min abs workout in combination with a cardio routine, I'm going to build nutrition binder and get started next week ;)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Small starts are the answer, if you try something and don't feel comfortable, try something else. The walking is great, how about swimming, it's great for the entire body.
    Your new program sound very good, if you stick to it you will see results, don't be so hard on yourself, it takes time to get into any new program!

Jun 2, 2008, 07:31 PM
    I started today with the vids and biked for about an hour, then biked around town later in the afternoon to run errands.. felt really good, I'm a little tired, but it'll only get better from here.. I think I want to start running but a friend of mine said I was working to hard to fast and suggested a heart rate monitor.. can some one explain why this is important?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 08:31 PM
    A heart rate monitor will tell you exactly what your heate rate is as your exercising, then you can increase your intensity to get a productive and safe workout. You sound very excited about your program, but take it easy in the beginning, your friend has give you great advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I start looking for grants to start up construction business in Mn. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello,I am John and I would appreciate any help I could get on finding some grants or low interest loans for starting a concrete contracting business.I have searched some sites but most want money for a kit.My credit is not very good and I am just trying to start a small construction business.I am...

Tractor won't start with key - but I can jump starter to start [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a used Ford 1210 compact tractor and it will not start with the key. I replaced the switch and still no luck. Tested the safety switch & wire that goes to the starter and both are in good order (verified with ohm meter). When I try to start with the key, the lights dim some so I can see...

Will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 4000 and it was worked fine. I did a preasure clean on it and now it will not start. I checked the power sorce and the spark plug is not sparking what cause this problem? vharris

91 honda crx no start or rough start, puzzled HELP! [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I'm running a SOHC ZC motor. I have good compressions across all pistons at 135psi and holding a piece. I have checked the timing and it is correct. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is OK. I haven't been able to figure out how to lean the fuel out though, but anyway, it starts up and...

View more questions Search