Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tahoessblue Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 09:47 PM
    What are some lines of scientific evidence that life evolved from a common ancestor?
    Need Help
    1lastkissb4ugo Posts: 30, Reputation: -1

May 25, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Well two theriose. 1-the big bang.. no any evedence 2-Christ.. evedence- 1The bible 2The cross 3Bible relitaves

If I was helpful please rate my answer, good luck!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 25, 2008, 08:42 AM
    There is an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence for evolution, spread across multiple disciplines.

I suggest you look at the following page, it outlines some of the ways in which we can infer common descent.

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: the Scientific Case for Common Descent
    1lastkissb4ugo Posts: 30, Reputation: -1

May 25, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Comment on Capuchin's post
    It does reflect the current study of the beginning.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 25, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lastkissb4ugo
    It does reflect the current study of the begining.
    "The beginning" has nothing to do with evolution. The Big Bang is accepted by mainstream science because it has pretty strong evidence. I think you are posting in the wrong thread.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Tahoesblue, Lines of evidence for descent from a common ancestor include:

1. Comparative morphology.
    For example, many animals share the same anatomy, which would not be expected if they were not related to one another. Just as cousins in the same family might have the same straight blond hair or curly, red hair, etc, related animals might both have the same hip construction, even though there are other ways the hip could have been constructed and would still work. Different kinds of pine trees have similar needles and long lists of other shared traits--because they are related to one another.

2. Comparative molecular biology:
    The same is true at the molecular level, where the more related two organisms, the more alike their biochemistry is. They use the same proteins to do the same things.

3. Comparative genetics:
    Related organisms, as measured by morphology or molecules can be shown to share genes. And just as closely related organisms have similar anatomy, molecules and genes, unrelated organisms are usually very different from one another.

4. Development. As plants and animals develop from fertilized eggs into embryos and then into adults, they pass through predictable stages of development. Same story: Those that are most closely related develop similarly.

All of these lines of evidence that show HOW we are related also show that we ARE related. Humans are animals with backbones, so we share at least some common anatomies and genes and molecules with all other vertebrates--fish, frogs, dinosaurs, and mammals. For example, we all have a backbone and a brain encased in a skull and all vertebrates have their main nerve cord (the spinal cord) in the back. For comparison, insects have their main nerve cord in their belly.

And yet humans and other vertebrates also share some genes with insects and even yeasts--which are a kind of fungus. We are not very related to yeasts, but we do share genes with them because both yeasts and humans are descended from a common ancestor. There is no evidence against this idea--that we are all related--but thousands upon thousands of scientific discoveries that support it. That is why scientists now accept that living things are all related.

I could tell you more, but I just wanted to hit the highlights.
    Asking
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 14, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoessblue
    Need Help
    Try this link: Understanding Evolution

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical equipment with coax lines connected backfeeding 40-60 volts through lines? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a question for any electricians. I am a cable technician and do installations for Cable,Internet,& Voice in homes. What I have encountered a lot is electrical back-feed coming through the copper coax lines feeding from vcr's and tv's in the house which are plugged into electrical outlets....

Book about evolved animal slaves [ 2 Answers ]

In 1999 or 2000 I saw a book at Barnes and Noble. The book is based way in the future and talked about animals like cats, dogs, you name it the book had it. So the animals in this book had evolved like in planet of the apes, but these animals were slaves to humans, and they could talk to humans as...

Tangent lines & secant lines [ 3 Answers ]

Show that the tangent line to the curve y = x^3 at the point x=a also hits the curve at the point x = -2a. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right path? I set the function and the slope of a line secant to the functions through the points (a, f(a)) and (-2a, f(-2a)) equal to each other and...

Halo: combat evolved [ 3 Answers ]

I have halo 1 for PC and there is this level that is on chapter 7 and I think it is called keys to super weapons or something, its after you find out about the little round thing that flies that tried to kill everyone, anyway, the problem is that there is a locked door that I need to get past and...

View more questions Search