Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oondada Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Cannot connect laptop to network
    Hi everyone. I have a normal wireless G linksys router. I have 3 laptops running through my network. One laptop running XP has a broken monitor and acts as a desktop now, I can connect to the internet wirelessly or via ethernet. My Acer aspire is running Vista and can connect to the internet through ethernet or via wireless. My dell however cannot connect either way. I recently formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP using the Dell CD. I reinstalled the drivers for both my ethernet card and my wireless card, and they both say "working properly" under device manager, but I cannot connect either way. My main concern is the wireless card. I can see my wireless broadcast, but it just will not connect to it no matter what I try. I do have a WEP encryption, and I know I'm entering it correctly. What is going on? This laptop is useless to me with no internet connection. :(
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 24, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Did you try an "ipconfig /renew" at the cmd prompt?
    oondada Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Cannot get an ip... it says media disconnected
    I can see the network broadcast, I just can not connect to it. It tries, but just won't. I switch and let windows manage my connection for me, and while it tries to connect, it just says "waiting for the network" and eventually gives up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect 2nd PC to network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to connect another PC on the floor above to my Netgear wireless router. The signal says 'good', but it won't connect. The network is not listed in the Local Area Network screen when I open it, in fact, there is nothing listed there. Windows says it cannot connect, something about 'am...

How do I connect a Laptop on a domain to my home network? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a laptop running Win2k on a domain, supplied to me by my company. It uses a VPN to connect to my corporate network. I am able to connect to my wireless router and get to the internet and VPN, but I am unable to access shared resources (folders & printers) on any of the locally WORKGROUP...

Can't connect to network or internet [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get an ip address on my desktop. It is connected to the network that already has 2 laptops connected to it via a router. Both of the laptops are also communicating with the internet via the router which is connected to the modem.

Cannot connect 1 of 3 pcs to our network [ 6 Answers ]

2 of our 3 xp router hard wired lan pcs see each other. 1 cannot even ping its own IP even though it connects to the Internet just fine. I've done the typical troubleshooting. It's the newest and strongest PC of the 3.

How do you connect to a T1 network from home? [ 11 Answers ]

If you are eventually going to work from your home for your company, are you able to connect to your companies T1 service from home and if so how do you do this?

View more questions Search