Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Plastic Surgery
    How do normal 9-5 people afford plastic surgery. There are some things that I want done that I obviously cannot afford. Are there low-cost places or GOOD financing plans? Does anyone have any suggestions for a place in the Northwest (US)?

Please, no lectures.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Send your request to some of those cable shows that do make overs.
    Call some of the schools and see if they have a program for students that are almost finished with their studies.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Send your request to some of those cable shows that do make overs.
    Call some of the schools and see if they have a rpogram for students thta are alomst finished with their studies.
    I want to get it done privately, I don't want to be on television. Nor do I want someone that ALMOST an MD performing surgery on me. I just want to know how to get it done inexpensively.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Think about it... if you go to the schools you get the finest of surgeries. The students are not allowed to cut corners the way the doctors do once they receive their medical licenses. The surgeries are done by the books.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Think about it....if you go to the schools you get the finest of surgeries. The students are not allowed to cut corners the way the doctors do once they receive their medical licenses. The surgeries are done by the books.
    Yes, and they are not yet doctors. I did that once with the dental school, and it was the worst medical experience of my life.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 05:57 PM
    You save, you take out loans, you borrow money from everywhere you can. All that gives you time to consider if it's something you really want to do; is going into debt by tens of thousands of dollars for the next ten years worth a tummy tuck? Only you can decide that.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    You save, you take out loans, you borrow money from everywhere you can. All that gives you time to consider if it's something you really want to do; is going into debt by tens of thousands of dollars for the next ten years worth a tummy tuck? Only you can decide that.
    I asked for no lectures please.
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I asked for no lectures please.
    Chillax, you asked a question you are getting answers. I did not see anyone lecturing you, but giving advice you asked for.
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Yes, and they are not yet doctors.
    And at one time I was not a nurse, but gave better care than licensed nurses because my grades depended on it.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Is going into debt by tens of thousands of dollars for the next ten years worth a tummy tuck?---that's lecturing. That's not the advice that I asked for.

And I'm "chillaxed", no worries.

I only ask this question here because I figured I could get straight-forward helpful non-judgemental answers. I'm sorry but that was very judgemental.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    And at one time I was not a nurse, but gave better care than licensed nurses because my grades depended on it.
    No offense but there is a big difference between nurses and surgeons. I wouldn't mind being cared for by a nursing student. But having surgery performed on me by someone that is not a doctor is totally different. I don't doubt your abilities at all
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Sorry, it's not different. I work with student doctors now myself. They work for grades as well. They have to pass competencies before they are ever allowed to do a surgery by themselves. Heck, I'm still working on competencies and I'm a nurse already.

I know you don't want lectures, but I think you have to take a step back and see what you are asking. The normal Joe on the street that works a regular 9-5 on average pay, without a life's savings, cannot afford to have plastic surgery. That is why they take out loans, etc.

Very few places, if any, will have financing plans because it is too easy for the patient to get the surgery then skip town.

If this is something you want, then you have to set a goal to save for it.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:14 PM
    I'm sorry a nurse and a surgeon are different, yes. I understand that you need to do testing and all that jazz. But they are different. I'm an Optician, I don't claim that my job is the same as the Optometrists.

I've worked in offices that perform surgery and I think if you went into plastic surgery places you'd see most of them do have financing. If it were just as easy as skipping town, then more people would do it. But the have your SS# and enough information to make you repsponsible for the payment.

I asked a simple question, I did not want to start controversy, arguments, or venture of into different conversations.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 06:16 PM
    I didn't mean to lecture you, I'm sorry if it came out that way. I meant it as an example and something to consider. I don't know if you are thinking of a tummy tuck or breast reduction, but my statement remains the same. Only YOU can decide if it's worth going into debt for several years to do it.

Many people (I'm not saying you) elect to have plastic surgery as a "quick fix" and they don't consider the expense and the pain that comes with it. Many of these people could avoid surgery by changing their lifestyle a little bit, or getting counseling on improving themselves esteem. But the decision is theirs and theirs alone. If they think it's worth the money to have the surgery, they find a way to do it. I'm just trying to say you should think carefully about what you want done, if there's another way to remedy the problem, and consider the loan (plus the interest) involved with paying it off. If you think it's worth it - go for it.
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I didn't mean to lecture you, I'm sorry if it came out that way. I meant it as an example and something to consider. I don't know if you are thinking of a tummy tuck or breast reduction, but my statement remains the same. Only YOU can decide if it's worth going into debt for several years to do it.

Many people (I'm not saying you) elect to have plastic surgery as a "quick fix" and they don't consider the expense and the pain that comes with it. Many of these people could avoid surgery by changing their lifestyle a little bit, or getting counseling on improving their self esteem. But the decision is theirs and theirs alone. If they think it's worth the money to have the surgery, they find a way to do it. I'm just trying to say you should think carefully about what you want done, if there's another way to remedy the problem, and consider the loan (plus the interest) involved with paying it off. If you think it's worth it - go for it.
    I don't mind, I'm just saying I came in here for facts. That's all I wanted. But thank you for the advice. This is neither a quick fix or something that can be changed with exercise or diet or anything to that effect. It's something that has plaqued me since puberty and will continue to until its fixed. And surgery is the only way to do it. Anyway, yeah, most likely a loan would be the only way to do it. But that would be a long time off, as I'm currently working on paying off a loan already.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 06:22 PM
    I just want to add - the reason I mention going into debt for several years is because your post indicates you don't have the money to pay for the procedure you want. If you have to take a loan out, it's fair to assume it will take several years to pay it off. This can be done with low interest credit cards, or possibly through financing with the doctor you select. But either way, if you finance, you're looking at a long pay-off period.

Believe me, I won't lecture you about having work done; I'm more likely to lecture you about taking out a high-interest loan! :)
    Vision Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:24 PM
    I already have a loan. And probably would not be eligible for financing, and I KNOW I'm not eligible for any sort of credit card.

I'm wondering if this would be something that health insurance would cover...
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Unless it is a health issue, like my breast cancer was, it will not be covered by health insurance.

I don't know what surgery you are wanting, and if you are not comfortable in telling, that is fine. However, even bariatric surgery such as lap band, etc is rarely covered by insurance. Plastic surgery of most kinds is considered a cosmetic surgery and insurance does not cover cosmetic surgeries, unless it is due to a health problem like my cancer was.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Health insurance will not cover things that are not medically needed for your health, things are that merely wanted, are not.

Now you also negotiate on the prices, But yes to be honest most people who are middle income or belong just don't get them,
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
    A good option to try and save is to put away a small amount of money every chance you get. Pay off a credit card? Put the amount you were paying monthly on that credit card into a savings account (assuming your other debt is under control or paid off). Get birthday money? Put it in a savings account. Raise at work? Bonus? Sell something on eBay? You get the point...

It might take some time, but money can be saved if you set your mind to it. Once you have the full amount you need, or a substantial amount, you can re-evaluate if the procedure is something you really want to have done. If, as you say, it's something that has bothered you for years, you'll probably still want it done, but now you'll be in the financial position to really make that decision and actually do something about it.

From a financial standpoint, if you are already paying on a loan, it would probably be in your best interest to wait until that debt is paid before you take on another one. If I remember correctly, you're pretty young, so you can assume in the future your financial situation will improve. That means as your current debt goes down, your savings can go up, or as your current debt goes down, your ability to take out another loan will go up. At that point you'll be able to make a decision about the procedure that's good for you and for your finances.

But to really answer your question, loans and debt are the way 9-5 people afford such things. People will take a second mortgage on their home, or get three credit cards, or take a high interest loan from a doctor's office to pay for a procedure if they want it bad enough. Given that these procedures can run in the tens of thousands of dollars, most people don't have that kind of money on hand. The answer is to save like mad, or go into debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know about expenditures of plastic surgery on chickenpox marks on face

Plastic surgery [ 6 Answers ]

What is your thoughs on a tummy tuck

Plastic surgery [ 7 Answers ]

So that means I will have to get plastic surgery to make my boobs the same size

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

View more questions Search