Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Autum Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 05:10 PM
    How to reduce the water flow?
    I have run 400 feet of black hose on a retaining wall. When I turn the pump on ( not the pool pump) the water goes through the 400 ft. too fast. How can I slow it down so its just a trickle. The water coming out of the hose is very hot to begin with. I need some kind of a pump that moves the water very slow, but won't burn out. Any suggestions.. for my poor mans pool heater?. I see other people with miles of black hoses heating their pool.

Thanks,

Autum
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

May 24, 2008, 06:11 PM
    I assume you're using this to heat your pool water? The speed at which the water is moving through the piping makes little difference. If for instance you pump 100 gallons of water through a minute, and it comes out 1 degree hotter, this is gaining the same amount of heat as pumping 50 gallons a minute and gaining 2 degrees. One difference is in the power consumption of the pump. A larger pump will use more power.

You could put a valve on the system and "throttle" it down. BUT, doing so will cause the pump to work harder and use more electricity.

It just occurred to me... you say the water coming out is "very hot to begin with". Are you trying to cool it down? If so, you want to speed up the water flow.
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 26, 2008, 07:31 AM
    I believe she is wanting to slow the water down that's goiing through the black hose so it has more time for the sun to heat the black hose up before the water goes back into the pool. Any other ideas on a cheap way to heat a pool?
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

May 26, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeboy
    I believe she is wanting to slow the water down thats goiing through the black hose so it has more time for the sun to heat the black hose up before the water goes back into the pool.
    This is a common misconception, that slowing the water flow will allow more heat from the sun to be captured. Yes, the water coming back from the "solar collector" will be hotter. BUT, the amount of heat captured per hour and transferred to the pool water will actually be less. At the same time the sun is heating the water in the pipe, heat in that water is also radiating out of the pipe into the atmosphere. The hotter the water in the pipe is, the MORE heat will be radiating out (and lost).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water flow from bath faucet after new water heater [ 7 Answers ]

I just had my water heater replaced by a plumber. Now the hot water flow and pressure is about 1/4th of what it used to be at the upstairs tub faucet. Other faucets in the same bath seem low as well but it is hard to tell. The bath tub faucet had great flow before and would fill the tub in 5...

No hot water/low water flow when shower is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

My home was built in 2005, I have a shower/tub combo that has only been used once since it was installed. I recently had issues with hearing sucking/draining noise coming from the drain in this bath when toilet was flushed, I discovered the water in the trap had evaporated.. Easy fix! But when I...

Minimal water flow from hot water side of faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink as a very low water flow on the hot side of the faucet - what can we do?

No Water Pressure after restoring water flow [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My faucet handle broke in the on position, so I turned the water valve off. I was gone about 12 hours, replaced the faucet handle, and then turned on the water but there is no pressure in any faucet/sink. Is there something I can do, or do I need to call a plumber to restore the...

Water flow [ 5 Answers ]

Speedball1, I'm concerning about not having high volume of water to flow from all the newly added bathroom upstairs. What I have right now is a 3/4" cooper pipe comming in from the water meter. This 3/4" cooper pipe is then going into a manifold plumbing system for PEX pipes through out the...

View more questions Search