Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnix612 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2004, 04:38 PM
    Hose Pipe Drain - Not There
    I just moved into my first home. It's a new construction. I have connected my dryer, even replaced the cord because it was the wrong prongs. Now my washer has 3 tubes. I have connected the hot and cold, but there is no place for the drain pipe. Was this suppose to be in the house when it was built? Is this something I can solve quickly?

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2004, 05:01 PM
    Re: Hose Pipe Drain - Not There
    The nice little panels with the hot and cold water outlets and drain have been common for many years. Are you sure there isn't a drain hole between the hose connections? If you can't find a drain anywhere, I would call the builder. With a little luck he will send somebody to show you where the drain is. You may feel foolish, but will have your drain. Maybe you could even ask a neighbor to help if you are in a development mostly built by the same builder. Good place to start over the weekend. It will give you a chance to get acquainted with your neighbors.

It is possible the drain was left out, or even dry walled over. Talk to the builder, and if you don't like the answers, talk to the building inspector. If the drain was left out completely, it could be a mess putting one in. Houses are carefully built in a sequence. Some things are much easier to do before other things are done. You can always rip out drywall and put it back in. You can rip up cement slabs too, but the bill is bigger.

Apr 10, 2004, 06:22 PM
    OK, there is a spot between the hot and cold water handles. It is a circle, so I assume this is where the drain pipe is suppose to be. I bet a simple cut will uncover the pipe. Maybe they forgot to do that part. I'll ask my neighbors if it can be cut eaisly and if not I'll call the builder Monday morning.

Thanks for responding, I wanted to be sure that is where it should be. I saw the circle a long time ago, but was not sure that was it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2004, 04:19 AM
    Good morning Jnix, The center hole is a washer box knockout. Before we get a plumbing inspection we have to fill all the drainage pipes with water to test them. The washer standpipe is closed off to retain water in the system. Just punch it out and be careful the knockout doesn't fall back down into the trap. Good luck, Tom

Apr 11, 2004, 07:54 AM
    Thank you. It does not punch out eaisly. It looks like it needs to be cut. It feels like a plastic material, but when I tried to cut around it there is something metal inside. So the pipe might be there and it's just a simple job for the builder to come back and correct.

If I had the proper tools I would do it myself. I need to wash. ;D

Apr 11, 2004, 06:38 PM
    Re: Hose Pipe Drain - Not There
    speedball1, thank you for your response. Based on what you told me, when I went to Home Depot the guy said I could use something along with a hammer and it pops out. And that's exactly what happened. I was able to wash today.

NEW QUESTION, but I will post it seperatly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How far for the dish washer drain hose? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to get my new dish washer (I haven't brought yet), to a drain. The problem is that (My 4 plex is commercial and all concrete) the closest drain is 10' away from center. I'd even like to get it to drain in the G.disposal, which is another 4 feet, which makes it 14' total. Is this possible? Is...

Air cond drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

A/C drain pipe plugged up, PCV in confining area, can I use draino or ? To unplug it.:cool:

Leaking drain hose [ 1 Answers ]

My drain hose that is attached to the washer and drains into the wall is leaking at the connection from the washer. How do you tighten the clamp? Is it possible I need to get a new clamp? So far I have cleaned up 2inch standing water 3 times in my laundry room. Each time I think I have it tight...

Help me with my Drain Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I had ceramic tile installed in an upstairs bathroom and a laundry room last week. I removed the toilet from upstairs bathroom and a washer and dryer from the laundry room on the main floor prior to installation. I put the toilet back on this week and reconnected the washer and dryer in the...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search