Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j9cat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 12:09 AM
    Covering carpet
    I am moving into a new apartment and I have carpet phobia (fear of damaging carpet and having them take it out of my deposit). Obviously I cannot tear the carpet out, so I want to cover it from wall to wall. Only in the living room. So I am thinking of some sort of carpet protector that will last at least a year or 2 and doesn't have to be somehow taped to the rug - like an over sized plastic runner. ANy ideas? I was then thinking because the plastic will probably be a wee bit ugly, putting vinyl or laminate flooring on top for a better finish or even maybe some carpet tiles. I know it sounds a little convoluted, but I want to save the landlords carpet. Forgot to mention, there is a messy cat involved (really want to avoid any waste staining the carpet as well as getting litter trapped in the rug). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 12:30 AM
    A friend of mine is a painter. In his pristine new apartment, he put down a tape-like substance. It looked like saran wrap but was noiseless. It was about two feet across. There was a strip down the hall and the living room was completely covered.

I asked if he liked it, if it left residue. He loves it and has replaced it in places where after a few months it was getting worn. No residue. He bought it at a painter's supply.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 02:46 AM
    I don't understand this. Why have the carpet if you are going t o cover it. Living in an apartment for two years the carpet will be worn and dirty. All you have too do is rent or buy a steam cleaner. I can't believe you are or your friend is willing to live with plastic completely covering your floor.
    Kneeopples Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    i dont understand this. why have the carpet if you are going t o cover it. living in an apartment for two years the carpet will be worn and dirty. all you have too do is rent or buy a steam cleaner. i can't beleive you are or your friend is willing to live with plastic completely covering your floor.
    Well daniel... UNFORTUNATELY, when you move into an apartment and almost always an apartment COMPLEX it will be covered with carpet. I myself HATE carpet but have no choice to live with it in my apartment. If you do not have a pet I'd say sure.. carpet is lovely... but I have a dog and two messy birds. Any *accidents* are a real pain in the butt on carpet. I myself am trying to think up an alternative to cover up most of the carpet in my apartment as
    I don't want to have to have the carpet replaced when I move out. Even steam cleaners aren't that wonderful when it comes to having a pet!! Carpets are an annoyance!! I'm wondering how particularly spaced rugs would turn out... hmm... :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Covering up old and new scars [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 scars on my left leg that are a light purple and light reddish color and would like to know what kind of make up or concealer would help to make them less apparent. {scars are about 18 years old} I also have some new scars that are from having skin tags removed 4 months ago. They are light...

Covering letter [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, We are basically a software development professional company.to promote business development ,I need to draft a mail giving an overview of who we are and what we want?this will be then sent across to those from whom we expect business,support and marketing of our products. ...

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

Skin covering eye [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 week-old kitten and she is constantly sneezing, has a runny nose and her left eye is watery. I took her to the vet and he said she had a head cold and prescribed some eye ointment. I have been using the ointment 3 times a day and her eye is still watery. Also it looks like the pink skin...

Covering redness [ 1 Answers ]

My skin can get pretty sensitive to heat, temperature change, stress, as well as the usual embarrassment factor. It's an extreme case of flushing in those kinds of situations. Anyway, is there something that I can buy (that is inexpensive) and use to cover up the blotchy redness? I get it on my...

View more questions Search