Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andrew2913 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 08:17 PM
    LaCie external HD that is no longer recognised
    I have a LaCie external HD that my computer no longer recognises. Everything was fine, then I when to access some information off the drive only to be told that the drive was not formatted. I try to restore to an early date only to be told that computer could not do it. Feeling that I had no alternative I reformatted the drive. Now the drive is no longer recognise. Although the "missing" drive is a mystery, I guess the real question is what happened to start all this?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Check device mgr, start, settings, control panel, system, hardware tab, device mgr.
    Look for yellow marks under drives, if any, right click on them and choose uninstall and say OK - close all windows and restart PC

Hopefully on restart, windows will install the drivesrs that are needed to recognize drive

When restart, check to see if drive is visibble now, if not go into control panel and try add new hardware to see if windows sees it
    Andrew2913 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83
    check device mgr, start, settings, control panel, system, hardware tab, device mgr.
    look for yellow marks under drives, if any, right click on them and choose uninstall and say OK - close all windows and restart pc

hopefully on restart, windows will install the drivesrs that are needed to recognize drive

when restart, check to see if drive is visibble now, if not go into control panel and try add new hardware to see if windows sees it
    First let me thank seahwk83 for the solution. Your description was spot on. Although my computer had some problems with the re-loading of the driver. Continuing to reload an unacceptable driver. I now have a another problem with my external drive which I will place in the correct questiion forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD ROM Recognised but not reading [ 2 Answers ]

My IBM Think pad laptop had Toshiba DVD ROM drive. It is recognized in device option but not reading any CD and the error message is "Please insert a CD in the Drive".Please help. Is there any software problem or hardware problem?

Box on incline. If you push it up, will it take longer to go up or longer down [ 5 Answers ]

If a box is given a shove so it slides up an incline then slides back down to its starting point, will it take longer on the way up or on the way down? I think it's down.

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

Hardrive not being recognised [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hardrive that worked on all the computers in my house and I used it on the computer downstairs moved some files then took it upstairs to watch a film and the computer didn't recognise it well it came up with a little bubble saying windows does not recognise this usb device one or more of...

Lacie bigdisk 2.0 USB [ 3 Answers ]

Hello There, Have Recently Purchased Aforementioned External Hard Drive But Am Having Major Problems Using It. Have Followed Instructions On Installation Correctly, But Every Time I Try To Access The New Drive My Computer Freezes And Has To Be Re-booted. I Am Using Windows Me...

View more questions Search