Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TanyaGenese Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 07:16 PM
    How to completely shut down my computer
    My computer is basically trashed. I cannt do anything, I'm lucky to be doing thisand I've asked every where. So here it goes, How do I completely shut my computer down, I mean get an "as new look" Please don't ak me if I mean all these diff names. Because everyone calls things diff names and I am lost with the names right now.I don't have a disk and cannt not make one so pleses not that again. I know that I have to it an F-Key but which one and what is next. Please give m step by step instructions. I'm praying someone can help my computer will have to be trashed oth wise. By the why I have windows xp. Thanks Thanks... so much
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2008, 07:51 PM
    If I follow you, you don't want to shut down your PC, but you want to reset it back to factory settings. To do that you need either a Recovery disk or partition. When you power up it should say to press a key for Recovery, does it?
    TanyaGenese Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 08:27 PM
    No, it does not say recovery, it say setup and reboot that's it. I don't have anything saved on disk, I don't care about what I loss I just want a working computer. Can you help
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 09:47 PM
    What kind of computer do you have? My Dell does not have anything on boot-up for recovery either. The setup will get you into the BIOS, which you should probably not be messing with. You might try hitting F8 and see what options you have in there. (This is a timing thing and you may "miss" repeatedly until you get it. After it passes the screen where it says setup, you can try to just continually tap F8 and see what happens. On mine, I can usually time it if I am quick and hit it the very split second I hear the beep it makes.) I have no idea if you'll find some type of recovery in there, cause I've rarely gone in there since getting XP. But check it.

You may want to try a system restore. Go to Control Panel under the Start menu. Then Performance & Maintenance. On mine, the system restore is over in the left pane. (The instructions say otherwise, but that's where mine is.) Then just follow the instructions. If you want to do this is Safe Mode, that can be gotten to using that F8 above, and you can go back to a point where things were working properly, hopefully. I've never actually done a system restore myself, so hopefully you can find that OK unless someone can give you better instructions.

People tend to not keep their disks. You really should have them. If you seriously need to completely re-do the hard drive with a fresh install (i.e. nothing else works), you're going to need the disks, assuming you don't have a computer with a restore on a different partition. (Look in My Computer or Explorer and see if you have a D drive. If so, see what's on it.) If you bought it fair and square with XP on it, you may be able to get the disks from the manufacturer.

Do you know of a computer-savvy person who can do this for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I tell if someone uses my computer after I've shut it down? [ 9 Answers ]

How can I tell if someone turns my computer on & uses it after I've shut it down? Is there a history of when it is turned off & on & what files, folders, or programs they access? Can I tell if they attach a thumb drive & download or copy files to this external drive?

Shut down computer problems. [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot shut down the computer from the START menu. I hit shut down, and the desktop disappears, but the wallpaper remians. It just stays there. Why is this? HELP!

Computer won't get any further than 'Your computer did not shut down successfully'. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Basically a computer of mine which doesn't get a great deal of use (but has worked fine up until this morning) I turned it on and it brings up the 'Your computer did not shut down successfully... etc etc' screen with the options to boot in safe mode, last good known config, start...

Toilet water supply won't completely shut off [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am replacing the innards of my toilet tank (flush valve, etc.). I disconnected the water supply line and can't get it to shut off completely. There is a constant trickle to the point that I have shut off the main supply. I don't know how long the repair will take and I would like...

Computer dies when installing XP to completely new machine! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all! Finished building my computer. Spec is as follows... Tai Chi liquid cooled tower. AMD x2 4600 processor. Asus M2N32 Sli Deluxe motherboard. 2GB RAM - 800MHZ - compatible to motherboard as 800MHZ FSB. Asus EN7900GS Graphics card. 250GB SATA HDD

View more questions Search